[comp.windows.ms] Problem with MS Mail in Windows 3.0 Enhanced Mode

ohara@brahms.amd.com (Bob O'Hara) (12/22/90)

	I am having difficulty with both Microsoft Mail and with printing
over the TOPS network when in Windows in enhanced mode.  Both of the above
work perfectly (well, almost-- more about that later) in standard (win/s)
mode.  The symptoms are as follows:

Microsoft Mail Problem

1) double clicking my email icon starts a batch file (in a window in enhanced
mode) which enable postscript translation in case I print from within Mail.
2) Microsoft mailstarts normally and proceeds to the point where it tells me
that it is "Signing in to Microsoft Mail Server".
3) It hangs there for as long as I am willing to sit still for it.  Windows
seems to be unaffected, i.e. I can switch to other tasks and run other
programs.

TOPS Printing Problem
1)When printing from within an application with windows in enhanced mode, the
print stream seems to be captured to a file as usual.
2) The file is queued to be printed by NETPRINT (a TOPS program)
3) The file will not be printed until I exit windows.
3a) if I go to a dos window and issues the command "print/q" which will
normally tell me the state of the print queue and the target printer, this
task will hang just like mail above.

The common denominator here seems to be getting to the network driver (ALAP
and PSTACK supplied by TOPS).  Is there a special trick I need to use when in
enhanced mode that is different than standard mode?  Any help would be
appreciated.  Please email replies and I will summarize if there is interest.
Thanks in advance.
 -Bob

Bob O'Hara                          Net:   bob.ohara@amd.com
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.        Phone: +408-749-2321
P.O. Box 3453  MS 70                Fax:   +408-749-2825
Sunnyvale, Ca. 94088-3000
Disclaimer: Everyone needs a disclaimer and I disclaim this one.

lopes@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (alann lopes) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec21.213106.21089@amd.com> ohara@brahms.amd.com (Bob O'Hara) writes:

>TOPS Printing Problem
>1)When printing from within an application with windows in enhanced mode, the
>print stream seems to be captured to a file as usual.
>2) The file is queued to be printed by NETPRINT (a TOPS program)
>3) The file will not be printed until I exit windows.
>3a) if I go to a dos window and issues the command "print/q" which will
>normally tell me the state of the print queue and the target printer, this
>task will hang just like mail above.

According to TOPS, these drivers will not work in enhanced mode. TOPS
claims to be working on a win3 version, but based on my experience
with them -- I certainly will not hold my breath!

        alann

   alann lopes:        alopes@ucsd.edu       -- internet
   Programmer/Analyst  lopes@cogsci.ucsd.edu -- internet
   (619) 534-7417      ALOPES@UCSD           -- bitnet