[comp.windows.ms] building group files, sharing colors

grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) (12/27/90)

Howdy networld

First, I want to thank whoever posted the MSJ color scheme.  I changed
it just slightly, and it is now very easy on my eyes (your eyes may vary :-)

Secondly, I think it's good for us to share color schemes with each other.
I would suggest, however, that we share them in control.ini fashion rather
than system.ini.  Just a small thing, but the control.ini line is much
easier to grab and use.  Just a suggestion.

Thanks also to people who have posted about mounting NFS printers as
LPTx.OS2.  This worked like a charm (as well as the winnfs.exe to make
bogus drives dissappear), and makes NFS really work well with windows.

Lastly, a request:  I would like to be able to have a program (BUILDGRP.EXE,
for example) that I could point at a directory, and have it grab 1) all files,
or 2) all files with windows-smart extensions, and place them into a .GRP
file.  I don't know the format of group files (looks awful though), and I
don't have the SDK (but I am a C programmer).  It would seem to be a fairly
simple program to write, and I would find it useful (yes, I'm too lazy to
build these groups by hand), and even a little more mac-like (please, no
flames.  I'm a PC person from way back, but I do recognize a good inter-
face when I see it.)  Actually, I suppose I would like a shell to replace
progman.exe (who wouldn't :-)) that would have a mac-like display of icons
representing the current directory (maybe a future hack to fileman,
Microsoft ?)

(Gosh this guy likes to parenthesize statements)  :-)

Well, any answers, questions, comments, etc, please email
or post as appropriate.  Thanks for the bandwidth.

Kelly
--
Kelly Grant        grantk@manta.nosc.mil   (619) 225-8401
Computer Sciences Corp          ^^^^^^^^ Important: manta.UUCP won't get to me

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (12/27/90)

In <1559@manta.NOSC.MIL> grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) writes:

>Howdy networld

>First, I want to thank whoever posted the MSJ color scheme.  I changed
>it just slightly, and it is now very easy on my eyes (your eyes may vary :-)

>Secondly, I think it's good for us to share color schemes with each other.
>I would suggest, however, that we share them in control.ini fashion rather
>than system.ini.  Just a small thing, but the control.ini line is much
>easier to grab and use.  Just a suggestion.

By which you mean, I assume, that you can give a name to a color
scheme, and then just use the control panel to experiment with it.
Good idea in principle (certainly better than rebooting for each
scheme, which was the only way I could figure to re-read the win.ini
file).  Two problems, though.  First, the Control Panel doesn't know
about several things, like the color of "grey text".  Second, the CP
makes it all to easy to accidentally overwrite a scheme.  Hey, MS,
we're doing *Windows* now -- let's stop using 64K BASIC as our menu
model!

>Thanks also to people who have posted about mounting NFS printers as
>LPTx.OS2.  This worked like a charm (as well as the winnfs.exe to make
>bogus drives dissappear), and makes NFS really work well with windows.

>Lastly, a request:  I would like to be able to have a program (BUILDGRP.EXE,
>for example) that I could point at a directory, and have it grab 1) all files,
>or 2) all files with windows-smart extensions, and place them into a .GRP
>file.  I don't know the format of group files (looks awful though), and I
>don't have the SDK (but I am a C programmer).  It would seem to be a fairly
>simple program to write, and I would find it useful (yes, I'm too lazy to
>build these groups by hand), and even a little more mac-like (please, no
>flames.  I'm a PC person from way back, but I do recognize a good inter-
>face when I see it.)  Actually, I suppose I would like a shell to replace
>progman.exe (who wouldn't :-)) that would have a mac-like display of icons
>representing the current directory (maybe a future hack to fileman,
>Microsoft ?)

>(Gosh this guy likes to parenthesize statements)  :-)

>Well, any answers, questions, comments, etc, please email
>or post as appropriate.  Thanks for the bandwidth.

>Kelly
>--
>Kelly Grant        grantk@manta.nosc.mil   (619) 225-8401
>Computer Sciences Corp          ^^^^^^^^ Important: manta.UUCP won't get to me
>4045 Hancock Street      "If you are given lemons.....see if you can trade for
>San Diego, CA 92110       chocolate" - me
--

	ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA
	{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!ergo

		THIS STATEMENT IS VERIFIABLY, IRREFUTABLY TRUE!