[comp.windows.ms] GIF files as backround?

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (12/23/90)

Is there any way to have GIF files as the backround in win3?
I believe what is nessecary is a converter from gif to bmp.
Does anyone know of a pd or shareware converter?
-Ron
Ron Winograd        <Insert huge 20 line sig here>        ron@vpnet.chi.il.us

thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (12/26/90)

In article <27744a04-8bccomp.windows.ms@vpnet.chi.il.us> ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:

>Is there any way to have GIF files as the backround in win3?
>I believe what is nessecary is a converter from gif to bmp.
>Does anyone know of a pd or shareware converter?
>-Ron
>Ron Winograd        <Insert huge 20 line sig here>        ron@vpnet.chi.il.us

If you view the image in VPIC (3.3 is the latest I know of), then hit
the Z key, you can save the image out as a .PCX file. Then, boot up
windows and read in the PCX with WINDOW'S PAINT and save as a .BMP.
Works fine.

--
Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

adelgado@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Alfredo Delgado Garza) (12/27/90)

Ron> Is there any way to have GIF files as the backround in win3?
Ron> I believe what is nessecary is a converter from gif to bmp.
Ron> Does anyone know of a pd or shareware converter?
Ron> -Ron
Ron> Ron Winograd        <Insert huge 20 line sig here>        ron@vpnet.chi.il.us

In cica.cica.indiana.edu there is a programa wingif.

With that program you can view the GIF file and save it as a .bmp
--
Alfredo Delgado Garza.
Internet: adelgado@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx            I.T.E.S.M.

coffman@plains.NoDak.edu (Clark Coffman) (12/28/90)

In article <27744a04-8bccomp.windows.ms@vpnet.chi.il.us> ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:
[
[Is there any way to have GIF files as the backround in win3?
[I believe what is nessecary is a converter from gif to bmp.
[Does anyone know of a pd or shareware converter?
[-Ron
[Ron Winograd        <Insert huge 20 line sig here>        ron@vpnet.chi.il.us

  I just downloaded a program from cica.cica.indiana.edu called pshop.zip
from the pub/pc/win3/util directory that converts perfectly from and to:
GIF,BMP,PCX very useful program.  Give it a try.  Good luck.  CWC

| Hey, who else would you expect to be responsible for what I say?  |
| (Bitnet)   -- NU116215@NDSUVM1       -- coffman@plains            |..|
| (Internet) -- NU116215@VM1.NODAK.EDU -- coffman@plains.nodak.edu  |==>
| (UUCP)     -- uunet!plains!coffman                                |..|
|    Clark W. Coffman   --)------  Dagda Mor  ------)--   CWC       |. |
  |______:-: You Teach Best What You Most Need To Learn. :-:______|..  |