[comp.windows.ms] VGA Wonder -- what's wrong?

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/29/90)

Several of our older 386s have ATI VGA Wonder cards in them.  They were
causing serious problems when I'd try to display a DOS window on the screen in
800x600/16 mode: the screen woul stretch to about 150% vertically, and wrap
around at the top.  Since they were old v3 boards with an outdated BIOS, I
called ATI tech support and ordered a new BIOS, hoping that would cure it.

Now, however, I am just evaluating a a brand-new VGA Wonder+ --- and it
does the same damn thing!  Starting up a DOS session in a window freaks out
the card, and the only way to unfreak it is to exit Windows.

Is this for real?  Did I miss something in the installation?  Should I just
stay away from ATI?

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec29.021634.3433@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>Several of our older 386s have ATI VGA Wonder cards in them.  They were
>causing serious problems when I'd try to display a DOS window on the screen in
>800x600/16 mode: the screen woul stretch to about 150% vertically, and wrap
>around at the top.

	It must be something else other than the ATI card since I've used
the VGA Wonder with Windows 2.11 (386) and 3.0 on several different 386
machines, opening DOS windows in 800x600 and 1024x768 modes and everything
is fine. Old Windows drivers from ATI used to have a few problems but newer
versions (last 1.5 years) have worked well. Perhaps you need a new driver,
or maybe its your BIOS (AMI and Phoenix work well, I've heard of problems with
the AWARD BIOS).

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	rna!dan@nyu.edu
				1230 York Ave.		tso@rockvax.bitnet
				NY, NY 10021

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (12/31/90)

I previously wrote:
> Several of our older 386s have ATI VGA Wonder cards in them.  They were
> causing serious problems when I'd try to display a DOS window on the screen
> in 800x600/16 mode: the screen would stretch to about 150% vertically, and
> wrap around at the top.

I've received a number of suggestions by email, but I still have the same
problem.  Let me present a few more data items:
	* Same machine with Paradise VGA+ works just fine
	* The same problem occurs on both VGA Wonder and VGA Wonder+
	* The same problem occurs using both the drivers shipped with
	  the card, and with those at cica.cica.indiana.edu.
	* Hitting Alt-Enter (to fullscreen the DOS session) usually gives
	  me a clean display until I return to the Windows screen.  Once,
	  however, Alt-Enter produced a text-mode window with the high bit
	  turned on for all displayed characters!

Any suggestions will be appreciated; please email them to me before this
card gets thrown back at the salesman.  :(

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (12/31/90)

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

|I previously wrote:
|> Several of our older 386s have ATI VGA Wonder cards in them.  They were
|> causing serious problems when I'd try to display a DOS window on the screen
|> in 800x600/16 mode: the screen would stretch to about 150% vertically, and
|> wrap around at the top.
|
|I've received a number of suggestions by email, but I still have the same
|problem.  Let me present a few more data items:
|	* Same machine with Paradise VGA+ works just fine
|	* The same problem occurs on both VGA Wonder and VGA Wonder+
|	* The same problem occurs using both the drivers shipped with
|	  the card, and with those at cica.cica.indiana.edu.
|	* Hitting Alt-Enter (to fullscreen the DOS session) usually gives
|	  me a clean display until I return to the Windows screen.  Once,
|	  however, Alt-Enter produced a text-mode window with the high bit
|	  turned on for all displayed characters!
|
|>Any suggestions will be appreciated; please email them to me before this
|card gets thrown back at the salesman.  :(

What monitor are you using?  Perhaps it can't sync on the ATI's
horizontal frequency, but has no problem catching the Paradise's
frequency.  I've had similar problems with my NEC MultiSync II on a
Video-7 VEGA VGA.