[comp.windows.ms] Using ATM with other fonts

13501DRJ@MSU.BITNET (12/22/90)

Has anyone found a utility that will convert fonts from Compugraphic,
Bitstream, etc... to Adobe Type 1 so that only 1 font manager has to be used
at a time? I'm going to see if Corel Draw v2.0 can produce Type 1 fonts that
ATM can use tomorrow, I hope...

Alternately, does anyone know how or have software that converts Mac Adobe
type 1 fonts to IBM Adobe type 1 fonts? It seems silly to spend even more
money to buy the same font you already own to get it in another format...

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (12/22/90)

In article <79713501DRJ@MSU> 13501DRJ@MSU.BITNET writes:
>Has anyone found a utility that will convert fonts from Compugraphic,
>Bitstream, etc... to Adobe Type 1 so that only 1 font manager has to be used
>at a time? I'm going to see if Corel Draw v2.0 can produce Type 1 fonts that
>ATM can use tomorrow, I hope...

I just got the Corel update today and was trying that.  Here are my
results:

Overall, it works.  Somewhat.  The problem is in WFNBOSS, which has never
seemed to me to be a well-polished product...
I can deal with not having hints (I doubt the Corel fonts are hinted,
anyway).  I can deal with converting each font in turn, though this could
almost certainly be automated.  What I can't deal with are rather blatant
bugs in the program.

First, if you try to convert more than one WFN to PFB without quitting
WFNBOSS, chances are the later files (I don't know which, probably the PFM)
will be confused.  So you have to convert a font, quit, reload, convert the
next, and so on.

Second, the PFMs created by WFNBOSS put the full font name in the Family
field, so that each weight of the font gets its own heading in the printer
menu.  I've tried editing that field, and usually it works, but sometimes
it screws up the PFM.  I don't know why it's erratic.

Third, the PFMs are not always accurate.  I converted Ottawa into Type 1
format, and when I use it in Word there is a large gap below the decenders
before the next line; the font height is wrong somewhere.  The other
weights of the font came out fine.

Oh, well.  Maybe if we gripe we can get these things fixed...
and it works fine up to a point.  The fonts produced are not completely
unusable, just less convenient than Adobe fonts.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

baldy@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca (The Bald Eagle) (12/27/90)

In article <JMERRILL.90Dec22034907@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>In article <79713501DRJ@MSU> 13501DRJ@MSU.BITNET writes:
>
>Oh, well.  Maybe if we gripe we can get these things fixed...
>and it works fine up to a point.  The fonts produced are not completely
>unusable, just less convenient than Adobe fonts.

Corel Systems is aware of problem with the conversion to
Adobe Type 1.  Just call their tech support and ask them to put you on
the list to get the fix when it comes out - it will be sent to you.  They are
working on a fix, they have a partial one that they can fax to you (it has
some debug instructions on it) right now.

By the way, their fonts don't have hinting in them.
--
uucp: micor!baldy        internet:  baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca

The Bald Eagle strikes again!
God created only so many perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair.

psycho@banana.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (12/27/90)

I just received both ATM and the Corel Draw! upgrade, and I've successfully
converted some Corel Draw! fonts to Type 1 format.  However I have a few
questions, some of which have been addressed before, but not to my
satisfaction :-) ...

1) No matter what I do (aliases, synonyms, everything short of deleting
all the vector fonts, which I haven't tried yet) every application I've
ran list both Helv and Helvetica (sp?), and Tms Rmn and Times Roman in
the fonts list.  Could it be the .FON files that come with Pagemaker?

2) The fonts I've converted from Corel Draw! don't appear to have their
associated screen fonts.  Every fonts that wasn't included with ATM shows
up on the screen as Times Roman.  Am I forgetting something or is this just
one of the downfalls of getting free Adobe fonts? :-)

3) The fonts included with ATM have separate files for bold, italic, and
bold italic.  When I convert fonts from Corel Draw, all the information is
in one file for all four fonts.  Is this OK?  It works without problem (unless
this is related to the screen font problem) so I guess it's OK.  Is their any
advantage to having separate files?  If so, how do I get separate files when
I convert from Corel Draw!

Other than that, ATM is a very useful product and nicely done.  Well worth
the $60 I paid for it mail order.  I'm sure it will shortly save me much
more than $60 worth of hard disk space! :-) (I've already freed up 4 megs
so far, which is wonderful since I was down to 1 MB on a 60 MB hard disk!)

Email responses are OK, though you may as well post any answers to the net,
since it isn't likely that I'm the ONLY one wondering about these things :-)

Thanx in advance!
Scot Forbes

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (12/29/90)

In article <7906@hub.ucsb.edu> psycho@banana.UUCP (Scot Kellan Forbes) writes:
>1) No matter what I do (aliases, synonyms, everything short of deleting
>all the vector fonts, which I haven't tried yet) every application I've
>ran list both Helv and Helvetica (sp?), and Tms Rmn and Times Roman in
>the fonts list.  Could it be the .FON files that come with Pagemaker?

It is mentioned in the documentation for ATM (or maybe it was in the README on
the disk) that all Windows fonts will continue to show up in your lists of
fonts along with the new ATM supplied fonts.  That means that you will
continue to see Helv and Tms Rmn from Windows and Helvetica and Times from
Adobe at the same time.  If you want to be assured of getting Adobe's though,
always select the one with their name.

John Munsch

dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) (12/31/90)

.  You can remove the Windows-supplied fonts using Control Panel, but
you will still see names of fonts that are provided by the printer
driver to match internal printer fonts. For example, the Epson 24-pin
driver supplies Courier 10cpi, 12cpi, ... which you can recognize by
the "cpi" suffix, also Roman PS which is the built-in proportional-spaced
printer font.
   The Windows manual mumbles something about not removing Helv because
it's needed for dialog boxes. I haven't had the ambition to try removing
Helv, so I can't tell you what happens.
   My own argument with Windows about fonts is around two things. I'd
like to use a constant-spacing font in dialog boxes for file names, where
the main thing is keystrokes, not looks. Also, I'd like to disable the
ASCII-to-ANSI code translation, at least for Adobe fonts. I can't get to
half of my Zapf Dingbats because they`re coded in ASCII. I know it can be
done, because the Browser bundled with CommandPost has an ASCII/ANSI
select option, and it uses the same Terminal font that Notepad uses.
Morrie Wilson, are you reading this?