[comp.windows.ms] PageMaker

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (12/30/90)

I've just installed PageMaker, and am frustrated and confused.  It works
wonderfully MOST of the time.  But sometimes...

I'm running Windows 3.0 and Bitstream FaceLift and normally load IdleWild
(from the WEP) and the clock.  Not too clogged.  Sometimes I also have
DynaComm loaded.  But problems occur when I have nothing but W3 and
FaceLift running behind PageMaker.  Some days I'm suspicious of SmartDrive.

Anyway, the problem seems to be that sometimes (without any apparent
external symptoms) I get "Application Violated..." messages or "Divide
by Zero" messages and get bombed out.  Of course, at this point I must
reboot to be able to run ANYthing successfully.

I'm running on a TeleVideo 386 (only 16MHz, sadly), 4MB RAM, 71MB disk,
Logitech Serial Mouse, and that's about it.  Oh - Paradise EGA and NEC
Multisync II (not that the latter should make any difference).

Does anyone have any clues about why this stuff is happening?  I've
had similar problems with other pieces of software, but it's really
bothersome with PM, since I can lose work and sometimes get corrupted
files.

Sigh.

Steven
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

rfutscher@pbs.org (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec30.002357.24614@mrspoc.Transact.COM>, itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:
> I've just installed PageMaker, and am frustrated and confused.  It works
> wonderfully MOST of the time.  But sometimes...

   (TEXT DELEATED)

> Anyway, the problem seems to be that sometimes (without any apparent
> external symptoms) I get "Application Violated..." messages or "Divide
> by Zero" messages and get bombed out.  Of course, at this point I must
> reboot to be able to run ANYthing successfully.

     I am haveing a simular problem. I just ordered a new BIOS hopeing that it
will fix the problem.  I don't think that it will.  I think that my system
has the 386 page mode bug. You need all the following three conditions:

         80386 protected/32-bit mode operation
         80386 running in page mode
         Operation of an 80387 or 80287 coprocessor

     I understand that the DX 386s do not have this problem. I also
understand that changes were made to most mother boards to fix the problem.
I have an old mother board that was made before the problem was found
and does not have the changes.
     The problemsalways show up for mee when windows is in the 386 mode and
I run a DOS app. that uses the coprocessor. When I shrink the dos
app (i.e. a 287 test program) to an ICON and then restart it, it
usually crashes or has a floating point error. The DOS app won't even
start if I try to multitask.

                   Robert Futscher   rfutscher@pbs.org