[comp.windows.ms] Problems w/ Win 3 and communications

hfreedman@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (12/29/90)

I am having a problem using any communications package within
Windows 3. Same or similar problems occur with Procomm Plus,
PC Anywhere, and even Windows Terminal.  I cannot seem to
configure these to use COMM 4 where my external modem resides.
No problem using these in DOS. Error messages upon Windows
configuration refer to Comm Port assigned to a DOS application. Mouse
also hangs.

CONTENTS OF AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET GMK4=C:\G4\          | FOR GRAMMATIK
@ECHO OFF
SET COMSPEC=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM
VERIFY OFF
PATH
C:\dos;\mouse;\windows;\toolbook;\wp51;\qpro;\bat;\symph;C:\G4;
APPEND /E
APPEND C:\DOS
set temp=c:\windows\temp
PROMPT $P$G
VER

CONTENTS OF CONFIG.SYS

files= 30
BREAK=ON
BUFFERS=20
LASTDRIVE=E
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM /P /E:256
INSTALL=C:\DOS\FASTOPEN.EXE C:=(50,25)
device=C:\himem.sys
device=C:\WINDOWS\smartdrv.sys 2048 512

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION

80386
640 K BASE MEMORY
3072 K EXTENDED MEMORY
2 SERIAL PORTS
1 PARALLEL PORT
BANK 0/1 DRAM 1 MEG 0 W/S
BANK 2/3 DRAM DISABLED 0 W/S
MEMORY INTERLEAVE DISABLED
SHADOW RAM C0000H, 16K ENABLED
SHADOW RAM C4000H, 16K ENABLED
SHADOW RAM FOOOOH, 64K ENABLED

2400 BAUD EXTERNAL MODEM ON COMM 4
MICROSOFT COMPATIBLE MOUSE ON COMM 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

In article <1990Dec28.223625.4303@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca>, hfreedman@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
> I am having a problem using any communications package within
> Windows 3. Same or similar problems occur with Procomm Plus,
> PC Anywhere, and even Windows Terminal.  I cannot seem to
> configure these to use COMM 4 where my external modem resides.
> No problem using these in DOS. Error messages upon Windows
> configuration refer to Comm Port assigned to a DOS application. Mouse
> also hangs.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated
> Thanks

details of system included in original posting.

After trying various possible solutions, I managed to communicate
using Terminal in Windows real mode. This was also after a change
to WIN.INI to include under [TERMINAL] an indication that port is
COMM 4. This does not seem to help in 386 enhanced mode, and DOS
communications programs still do not work.

Hope that the foregoing assists some others and further help
would still be appreciated. Thanks again

[sorry for no signature - have not gotten to figure that out yet]

spr003%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Jim Mansell) (01/02/91)