[comp.windows.ms] Color Schemes

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (12/20/90)

(Hokkun Pang) writes:

>>Wh[at] is the most comfortable color combinations for Windows 3.0?
>>

>Try the colors suggested in the Microsoft Systems Journal article on Windows
>(an excerpt of my win.ini file is included).

>[colors]
>; Colors reset per Geary article in Microsoft Systems Journal, July 1990
>; Ones that Control Panel knows about...
>ActiveBorder=128 255 255
>ActiveTitle=0 128  64
>AppWorkspace=64 128 128
>Background=128 128 128
>InactiveBorder=192 192 192
>InactiveTitle=128 128 128
>Menu=0 128 128
>MenuText=0   0   0
>Scrollbar=191 191 191
>TitleText=255 255 255
>Window=192 192 192
>WindowText=0   0   0
>WindowFrame=0   0   0
>; New ones that Control Panal knows not
>;ButtonFace=
>;ButtonShadow=
>ButtonText=0   0   0
>GrayTest=128 128 128
>Hilight=128   0   0
>HilightText=255 255   0

It would be nice if this color combination were posted as a color
"scheme" that could be selected through the control panel/color
option.  Is it possible for someone to convert this?

While we're at it, why don't we share some of our own "schemes?"
For example, here's one of mine:

MR=80,408000,FFFFFF,0,FFFFFF,0,804000,408080,FFFFFF,808080,808040,0,818181

It's loosely based on the "Ocean" scheme...

To install it, place the line into your \windows\control.ini under the
[color schemes] section.  (You'll have to quit Windows and restart to
be able to select it from the control panel/colors menu.)

Also, while were on such esoterica, does anyone have any nifty
patterns they'd like to share?

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

mk2s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael-Makihiko John Kato) (12/21/90)

Here's the Microsoft Systems Journal color scheme as a control.ini string:

MSJ=808080,808040,C0C0C0,0,808000,0,408000,808080,FFFFFF,FFFF80,C0C0C0,0,BFBFBF

I haven't figured out the mapping used here, but if you install the colors
from MSJ in your win.ini file, you can then go into the control panel and
click the "Save Scheme" button on the Color dialog box.  Note that you
must open the "Color Palette>>" before this button is enabled.

Have fun!

-Maki

tony@mantis.co.uk (Tony Lezard) (12/21/90)

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>While we're at it, why don't we share some of our own "schemes?"
>For example, here's one of mine:
>
>MR=80,408000,FFFFFF,0,FFFFFF,0,804000,408080,FFFFFF,808080,808040,0,818181
>
>It's loosely based on the "Ocean" scheme...
>
>To install it, place the line into your \windows\control.ini under the
>[color schemes] section.  (You'll have to quit Windows and restart to
>be able to select it from the control panel/colors menu.)

No you don't! I was able to install it simply by swiping the mouse over the
line above and editing control.ini in another window and pasting the text.
As soon as the file is written the scheme is available from the control panel.
Hmm... not too bad...

>Also, while were on such esoterica, does anyone have any nifty
>patterns they'd like to share?

I've produced a couple of fairly horrendous bitmaps that I occasionally use
as wallpaper just to annoy myself. Nothing very artistic though.

--
Tony Lezard.  E-mail: tony@mantis.co.uk, Snail: Mantis Consultants,
Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge, CB4 4WS, United Kingdom.

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (12/21/90)

This is my contribution to the "color schemes" ...
leoh=8080FF,408000,800000,80FF,8080,4080,80FFFF,FFFFFF,804000,4080,FFFFFF,C0C0C0,C08080

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

aviator@athena.mit.edu (Joakim Karlsson) (12/29/90)

Here's the color scheme I use for my daily work:

Stockholm=800000,FFFF80,FFFFFF,0,FFFFFF,0,804000,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,FFFF,80FFFF,0,
FFFF80

Enjoy...Joakim
--
Joakim Karlsson            | aviator@athena.mit.edu
Flying Fanatic in Training |

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (01/02/91)

In <o73iu2w163w@mantis.co.uk> tony@mantis.co.uk (Tony Lezard) writes:

>mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>>While we're at it, why don't we share some of our own "schemes?"
>>For example, here's one of mine:
>>
>>MR=80,408000,FFFFFF,0,FFFFFF,0,804000,408080,FFFFFF,808080,808040,0,818181
>>
>>It's loosely based on the "Ocean" scheme...
>>
>>To install it, place the line into your \windows\control.ini under the
>>[color schemes] section.  (You'll have to quit Windows and restart to
>>be able to select it from the control panel/colors menu.)

>No you don't! I was able to install it simply by swiping the mouse over the
>line above and editing control.ini in another window and pasting the text.
>As soon as the file is written the scheme is available from the control panel.
>Hmm... not too bad...

Not too bad at all.  Sorry about misleading everyone.  I just
*assumed* Windows behaved in normal non-dynamic DOS brain-damaged
ways.  (I guess you can tell I've been using DOS too, too long...  :-)

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu