[net.auto] Motor oil in the transmission?

moroney@jon.DEC (12/06/84)

>At 50k miles I did the regular tune up stuff.  Being a fanatic about
>lubrication, I put in long drain oil.  I also put this in the tranny.
>                                               The slippery stuff is
>wonderful for your engine.  Just keep it out of the transmission!

Huh?  I thought you were only supposed to put transmission fluid in
transmissions.  Is motor oil (the non-slippery stuff) REALLY OK for
transmissions?  What about automatic transmission?  If it is OK, I
could have used this information a while ago, I had a beater which got
about 150 miles/quart of TRANSMISSION fluid. (!)  I could have used el
cheapo motor oil?  The transmission worked fine (until it ran low on fluid)
it just leaked.  (The car is currently getting another one)

"There's a madness to my method"		Mike Moroney
					..!decvax!decwrl!rhea!jon!moroney

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (12/06/84)

> Huh?  I thought you were only supposed to put transmission fluid in
> transmissions.  Is motor oil (the non-slippery stuff) REALLY OK for
> transmissions?

Read the article again. He said (and I will confirm this, being a
Honda owner also) that Honda manual transmissions take motor oil.
No statement was made concerning transmissions in general.
Try reading your owner's manual. And don't assume that all cars
are the same.

(did you hear the story about the old lady who bought a VW beetle
and thought they'd given her a spare motor in the back?)
--
 I'm not a programmer, I'm a hardware type.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5790
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/07/84)

> Huh?  I thought you were only supposed to put transmission fluid in
> transmissions.  Is motor oil (the non-slippery stuff) REALLY OK for
> transmissions?

You must be talking about ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid).  As
those of us who have worked on manual-trans cars know, REAL
transmissions use oil.  However, the transmission oil should normally
be considerably heavier grade than the standard motor oil.  (Which is
why it's sort of hard to shift when you start the car on a cold winter
morning...)

			\tom
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/10/84)

> > Huh?  I thought you were only supposed to put transmission fluid in
> > transmissions.  Is motor oil (the non-slippery stuff) REALLY OK for
> > transmissions?
>
> You must be talking about ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid).  As
> those of us who have worked on manual-trans cars know, REAL
> transmissions use oil.

Gee, the manual transaxles in my '82 Mercury LN7 and '84 Dodge Daytona
both take ATF.  Guess they don't qualify as "REAL" transmissions :-)

Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (12/10/84)

> >At 50k miles I did the regular tune up stuff.  Being a fanatic about
> >lubrication, I put in long drain oil.  I also put this in the tranny.
> >                                               The slippery stuff is
> >wonderful for your engine.  Just keep it out of the transmission!
>
> Huh?  I thought you were only supposed to put transmission fluid in
> transmissions.  Is motor oil (the non-slippery stuff) REALLY OK for
> transmissions?  What about automatic transmission?

I can only speak for HONDA manual transmissions.  They take motor oil.
I would guess that engine oil would demolish an automatic ...
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

No one would dare claim these opinions.

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (12/10/84)

Some cars do use motor oil in the transmission/differential.
I had a 77 Honda Civic that called for 10-30 oil in the
trans. I put some syntheticc oil in hoping to reduce wear, etc.
The transmission became hard to shift and the gears would grind,
especially between first and second. I put standard 10-30
back in and the problem went away. Turns out some friction is
required to make the synchro rings work properly. The synthetic
oil reduced friction to a point where the rings did not work.
                                     Dave Williams
                                     Tektronix, Inc.
                                     ECS

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (12/10/84)

> > Huh?  I thought you were only supposed to put transmission fluid in
> > transmissions.  Is motor oil (the non-slippery stuff) REALLY OK for
> > transmissions?
>
> You must be talking about ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid).  As
> those of us who have worked on manual-trans cars know, REAL
> transmissions use oil.  However, the transmission oil should normally
> be considerably heavier grade than the standard motor oil.

Yes, REAL transmissions use oil.  ( I must confess that I never
do think about automatics when talking about transmissions...)
For some obscure reason, the ****** HONDA ****** takes 10W-40
motor oil in the tranny.  For most cars with real transmissions
the grade in 90w.  Not so for HONDA.  In any *MANUAL* transmission
watch out for slippery oil.  (Come to think of it, my old Honda
motorcycle used 10w-40 in the tranny also...  I wonder if this
is a trait of motorcycles that Honda caried over into cars ... hmmm)
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

No one would dare claim these opinions.

graham@orca.UUCP (Graham Bromley) (12/11/84)

	Yes indeed. My '85 Accord manual says to put 10W-30
in the transmission (manual of course). No mention of
transmission oil. On the other hand, my  '82 Sentra
requires 80W-90 transmission oil - real viscous stuff.
Shifting into 1st is difficult when the Sentra is cold,
fine in the Accord. Seems to make things easier if you
can use motor oil. Either way, use what the manual says
if you don't want to break it!
	gbgb aka the longjmp artist

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (Deepak S. Sabnis) (12/11/84)

According to Chilton's Easy Car Care, manual transmissions
are lubricated by motor oil or gear oil (a heavier cousin of
petroleum based oils). It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Chilton's book reccomends looking up owner's manual to make sure.
The automatic transmissions on the hand need special stuff called
automatic transmission fluid (ATF) which also comes in more than one
variety.

--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

**Being IMMORAL is about as close as you can get to being IMMORTAL**

(Opinions expressed above are strictly my own :-| )

rick@genrad.UUCP (Rick Frerichs) (12/12/84)

{bug eater line}
MGB's have long used standard engine oil in the transmission!!

bprice@bmcg.UUCP (12/20/84)

In article <shark.1189> davew@shark.UUCP writes:
>Some cars do use motor oil in the transmission/differential.
>                                     Dave Williams
>                                     Tektronix, Inc.
>                                     ECS

Yes, indeed--then there was the MG 1100 Sports Sedan, aka Austin America, aka
Morris...  In both the manual tranny (MG 1100) and the automatic (Austin
America), the tranny was in the oil pan.  Thus, the engine, tranny, and
differential all used the same oil, the same oil pump, the same oil filter.

Maybe I should discuss these cars (I had one of each) under the "My car is
slower than yours" subject.
--
--Bill Price    uucp:   {decvax!ucbvax  philabs}!sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice
                arpa:?  sdcsvax!bmcg!bprice@nosc