[comp.windows.ms] Any ToolBook users want to exchange Books??

jim@shograf.UUCP (jim morris) (01/04/91)

Is there any demand for a toolbook users newsgroup??
Or can we just post toolbook programs to this group, or set up a mailing list??

Is it legal to distribute the .tbk files to other people who have toolbook??

Does anyone care?

Ok, presuming the answers are yes, I would like to see an interchange of
ideas and/or books that people have worked on.

Also a list of known bugs that have been discovered, but Asymetrix won't
own up to, would be nice!

Other than the slowness of anything written in openscript I rather
like being able to quickly knock out simple apps. (Quickly is a relative term
translated to meen a weekend!)

Any other feedback is welcome. Also a comparison between Spinackers Plus and
Toolbook would be welcome. (From real first hand experience, the review that
PC week did comparing the two was next to useless!!).

-- Jim

jim@shograf.UUCP or motcsd!shograf!jim

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) (01/04/91)

In article <299@shograf.UUCP> jim@shograf.UUCP (jim morris) writes:
>Is there any demand for a toolbook users newsgroup??
To small an audience - not even Actor gets its own group yet.

>Is it legal to distribute the .tbk files to other people who have toolbook??
Yep .tbks are yours and yours alone, unless you didn't write 'em

>Ok, presuming the answers are yes, I would like to see an interchange of
>ideas and/or books that people have worked on.
Why not an anonymous ftp site ... I might have room.

>Also a list of known bugs that have been discovered, but Asymetrix won't
>own up to, would be nice!
yeah, and lets start with discussion of that dBase DLL. I'd like to
tortureAndKill() a few Asymetrix employees - stand by for some code
examples of the bugs in that thing.

    neal i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (01/05/91)

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) writes:
> In article <299@shograf.UUCP> jim@shograf.UUCP (jim morris) writes:
> >Is there any demand for a toolbook users newsgroup??
> To small an audience - not even Actor gets its own group yet.
>
> >Is it legal to distribute the .tbk files to other people who have toolbook??
> Yep .tbks are yours and yours alone, unless you didn't write 'em

Well, I'd like to see some toolbook files from other people... I'm afraid I
don't really have anything to swap at the moment.

> >Also a list of known bugs that have been discovered, but Asymetrix won't
> >own up to, would be nice!
> yeah, and lets start with discussion of that dBase DLL. I'd like to
> tortureAndKill() a few Asymetrix employees - stand by for some code
> examples of the bugs in that thing.

I'd like to torture and kill the person who wrote DayBook; or at least, the
genius who decided that it should insist on MM/DD/YY for the date format
and am/pm for the time. What the hell did they put the sysDateFormat property
in for if they're not even going to use it themselves?

mathew.
[ Who uses ISO-standard format, which ought to be the default. ]

seamans@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mark Seamans) (01/05/91)

I'd be interested in getting some sort of exchange/discussion of
ToolBooks started.  The Asymetrix BBS has been a good source of
information about how to write scripts and books, but any
additional info could only help.

There have been comments on the net that there are not enough
ToolBook users to justify the creation of a dedicated ToolBook
group.  How many copies of the development kit has Asymetrix
sold?  Does anyone have information about groups or companies who
will market ToolBook applications?  A catalog of some sort?

Mark Seamans
NCR Systems Engineering San Diego
[This space reserved for an original discliamer]
seamans@sandiego.ncr.com

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) (01/06/91)

>I'd like to torture and kill the person who wrote DayBook; or at least, the
>genius who decided that it should insist on MM/DD/YY for the date format
>and am/pm for the time. What the hell did they put the sysDateFormat property
>in for if they're not even going to use it themselves?

   Sounds like an easy fix. Just dump the code for it and grep for
any references to date - too bad theres not a windows grep ...
ahhhh, a project for the remainder of the weekend.

     Neal

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan6.025908.20367@news.iastate.edu> i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) writes:
>   ... Just dump the code for it and grep for
>any references to date - too bad theres not a windows grep ...
>ahhhh, a project for the remainder of the weekend.

There is a shareware program called BROWSER, which is bundled with
COmmand Post, which does some of the simpler GREP functions. You can,
for example, show all lines that have / don't have a string. No wild
cards, though, I think.

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

alcmist@well.sf.ca.us (Frederick Wamsley) (01/08/91)

Heizer Software has added Toolbook applications to their catalog of
Hypercard stacks.

There's also a Toolbook area on Compu$erve with .TBK's available for
download.
--
Fred Wamsley  {ucbvax,pacbell,apple,hplabs}!well!alcmist;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY; USPS - why bother?

hjb@otter.hpl.hp.com (Harry Barman) (01/08/91)

I've been using toolbook pretty extensively for the past 6 months or so.

I'd be really interested in any toolbook archive/news.  There probably isn't
enough traffic to warrant a whole new newsgroup.  Probably the best thing to
do is to set up a mail list.

Asymetrix run a dial up bulletin board, and have an area on compuserve.
None of these are much use to me since I'm in the UK.  If anyone
has downloaded any stuff from their BB I'd be *very* interested to see it
available via ftp.

There are a few bits and pieces of toolbookery that I could contribute if
anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Harry

P.S. Anyone had any success reaching Asymetrix by e-mail recently?  I tried
sending some messages in November/December last year, and still haven't got
any reply.