[comp.windows.ms] Floating point 80x87 for windows

rfutscher@pbs.org (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan7.164119.10490@news.iastate.edu>, i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) writes:

>     Does windows use a floating point chip if its present? I have no
> programs that specifically require one, but $300 for a 387sx would
> be much easier to take than upgrading my sx to a full size machine.
> I'd like to here from someone who has done a side by side comparison
> of two identical machines except that one has a 387. I'll post
> results if they're interesting enough

Windows is not math intensive.  I use Drafix CAD for windows and it was really
slow before I added a 80x87 chip.  Windows seamed to run at the same speed
when I added the chip. Some of the slowness with CAD may be because windows
uses software to emulate a 80x87 if you don't have one. You may have seen
a program with 87 in its name in the windows directory.

  Robert Futscher    rfutscher@pbs.org