[comp.windows.ms] Using cursor keys with MS-Win3-TERMINAL

hls@rwthbs.uucp (H.L. Stahl) (01/03/91)

I have a lot of problems using MS-Windows 3.0; 2 of them are as follows:
 --> How can I use the cursor keys in conjunction with Win3-Terminal?
     Until now I am only able to move the Windows cursor with the cursor
     keys, but the key code seems not to be transmitted! (I have similar
     problems with some other keys, such as vertical bar.)
 --> How can I use my mouse with applications running under Win3 in a DOS
     window (e.g. MS-Word for DOS)?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated!

     Hans

 |  _      : Hans-Ludwig Stahl, Lehrstuhl fuer Betriebssysteme, RWTH Aachen
 |_|_`__   : Kopernikusstr. 16, D-5100 Aachen, ..49-(0)241-804374
   | |__)  : Domain:  hls@informatik.rwth-aachen.de
     |__)  : uucp:    ...!{seismo,mcvax,uunet}!unido!rwthinf!hls

r3hjl@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Howard J. Lymor) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan3.134432.2610@rwthbs.uucp> hls@rwthbs.UUCP (Hans-Ludwig Stahl) writes:
>I have a lot of problems using MS-Windows 3.0; 2 of them are as follows:
> --> How can I use the cursor keys in conjunction with Win3-Terminal?
>     Until now I am only able to move the Windows cursor with the cursor
>     keys, but the key code seems not to be transmitted! (I have similar
>     problems with some other keys, such as vertical bar.)
> --> How can I use my mouse with applications running under Win3 in a DOS
>     window (e.g. MS-Word for DOS)?
>

>     Hans

Okay, for question number 1, I have seen a lot of people asking,
so I thought I'd post instead of email.

In the terminal program for win3, activate the Scroll Lock key,
so that the light is turned on, and then try the cursor keys.
They should work.
I found this out from a posting last year, sorry, I can't remember
the original sender's name (but thank you!!!!).

As for the second question, and this is not an authoritative
answer, if you are on a 386 class machine and running your pgm
in a window, then win3 controls the mouse.  However, if you
run the program full screen, win3 releases mouse control to the
program.  I have used Quattro Pro under win3, and this is how
I gained mouse control.  It makes sense.  Anything running is a
window is in the true "windows" environment and windows must
retain control in order to keep the interface.  I mean, would
you want your cursor to do one type of movement in one window
and a totally different and unrelated movement in another?

Hope this helps,

Howard

| Howard J. Lymor      |  r3hjl@vax1.cc.uakron.edu                |
| My opinions are my   |  Or you can try me through good ole AT&T |
| own, and even I      |                                          |
| disown them!         | (216) 434 - 9157 (after 10PM EST)        |

hls@rwthbs.uucp (H.L. Stahl) (01/10/91)

In article <931@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> r3hjl@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Howard J. Lymor) writes:
 > In article <1991Jan3.134432.2610@rwthbs.uucp> hls@rwthbs.UUCP (Hans-Ludwig Stahl) writes:
 > > --> How can I use the cursor keys in conjunction with Win3-Terminal?
 > > --> How can I use my mouse with applications running under Win3 in a DOS
 > >     window (e.g. MS-Word for DOS)?
 > In the terminal program for win3, activate the Scroll Lock key,
 > so that the light is turned on, and then try the cursor keys.
 > They should work.
It works fine, but I still cannnot use backslash, apostroph and similar keys.
 > ...run the program full screen, win3 releases mouse control...
Perhaps in Version 3.1 (or later) of Windows, there will be the feature
to toggle between Windows and non-win-applications using the mouse
by Scroll Lock as well?

Thanks to everybody for the useful hints!

Hans-Ludwig Stahl