[comp.windows.ms] Toolplaces for W3?

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (01/07/91)

Is it possible to set up a default configuration for W3 that includes
running applications (other than Program Manager)? What I mean is, can
you make W3 load your preferred applications (e.g. Word Processor,
DOS Shell etc.) on start up? Ideally, it would adjust their start
position and size etc. and inconise them if required.

If not, is their a way of invoking a macro on start up? You could then
define the macro to do this.

(So what is Toolplaces? - It's a program used on Suns to store your desktop
configuration in a file that can be read on start up.)

--
 ----------------  Eml: mrh@camcon.co.uk or mrh@camcon.uucp
 ----------------  Tlx: 81481 (CCL G)        Cambridge, CB4 2JB, UK.

hls@rwthbs.uucp (H.L. Stahl) (01/09/91)

In article <10288@titan.camcon.co.uk> mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) writes:
>... What I mean is, can
>you make W3 load your preferred applications ... upon start up? ...

You can either use the "AutoExec" macro, which is executed whenever W4W
starts up, or use the lines "load=..." or "run=..." in your WIN.INI file.

Hans-Ludwig Stahl

hughes@maelstrom.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (01/10/91)

The load= and run= lines of win.ini will start up applications as icons
and as windows, respectively.

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

m1phm02@fed.frb.gov (Patrick H. McAllister) (01/11/91)

In article <HUGHES.91Jan9160839@maelstrom.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@maelstrom.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:

   The load= and run= lines of win.ini will start up applications as icons
   and as windows, respectively.

   Eric Hughes
   hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

But the original questioner (like me) wanted not only to start up the applications,
but control the placement and sizing of windows. In other words, not just "start
up Clock (in its default window)", but "start up Clock, run it in a 100x100 window,
and locate that window in the upper right corner of the screen". It is easy to
do this under Sunview on Sun machines, and it is possible (but not quite as easy)
under X-windows. Program Manager controls its own startup configuration via its
PROGMAN.INI file. If we want to similarly control other programs, is it up to
their programmers to provide a similar function, or can Windows do it itself?

Pat

mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (01/11/91)

In article <M1PHM02.91Jan10120855@mfsss1.fed.frb.gov> m1phm02@fed.frb.gov (Patrick H. McAllister) writes:
>But the original questioner (like me) wanted not only to start up the applications,
>but control the placement and sizing of windows. In other words, not just "start
>up Clock (in its default window)", but "start up Clock, run it in a 100x100 window,
>and locate that window in the upper right corner of the screen".

You'll have to use shareware or commercial add-ons to do this.
Shareware	file name on cica
Command Post 	/pub/pc/win3/util/cp-70l.zip
Aporia		/pub/pc/win3/util/aporia14.zip
layout		/pub/pc/win3/util/layout.zip

Commerical Apps PubTech Batch Works, Bridge, NewWave

--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG