[comp.windows.ms] low cost windows cad

raymaker@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Mark Raymaker) (01/04/91)

I have a researcher who like to run Windows and Windows apps but is con
strained by the fact he is using AutoCAD which requires expanded memory which
makes Windows use complicated.
Does any know of Windows based CAD programs??
thanks
Mark Raymaker
Baylor College of Medicine Computing Resource Center
(713)-798-5027
Post to my mailbox raymaker@bcm.tmc.edu

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (01/05/91)

raymaker@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Mark Raymaker) writes:

>Does any know of Windows based CAD programs??

Foresight Resources Corp (Lawrence, KS) sells Drafix for Windows.  If
I recall correctly, it carries a list price of $695.

I believe that Vellum has been ported from Mac to Windows 3.  However,
this package costs substantially more.

Check some back-issues of "PC Week", a couple of CAD packages were
announced for Win3.  Of all those announced, I believe that Drafix is
the least expensive.

Mark Medici ** Systems Programmer III * Rutgers University Computing Services
medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu * medici@cancer.BITNET * !rutgers!elbereth!medici
My opinions are not necessarily my employers'. *Reality is context-sensitive.

rfutscher@pbs.org (01/11/91)

In article <11561@ur-cc.UUCP>, bfag@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Meneldur) writes:
> In article <1991Jan8.224404.11257@pbs.org> rfutscher@pbs.org writes:
>>
>>    I have Drafix CAD for windows and it is a great program unless you
>>want to plot or print your drawing.  The HPGL, Postscript and PCL
>>outputs all have major problems.  I have called tech support, written letters
>>and tried every workaround  I could think of doing.  When I wrote a letter
>>they said that they could not duplicate my problem and they would work on it.
>>When I called to check they said the person I talked to nolonger worked there.
>>Now every time I call they say that they are short staffed and will call me
>>back after they check their records.  So far no returned calls.
>
> Hmmm...I've had no problems with the program in that area.  Can't attest to all
> printers and the like, but I've had no trouble with a couple of PostScript
> printers nor with the little HP ColorPro plotter.  I have also exported a
> number of drawings to files in HPGL format to be pulled in with other
> applications.  Again, no problems there.

	I have a drawing that was origionally from Drafix plus. It was
imported into Ultra and then into Drafix for windows.  I have the following
problems.

	1)  When I zoom in and plot to file a screen view Drafix will
crop some of the lines but not all of them.  When I place the drawing
in word for windows the HPGL drawing is scaled so all the exteranous
lines are in the box I created in word.

	2)  When I print on a postscript printer about 10% of the
drawing is in low resolution. I guess about 75 Dots per inch.  Solid
lines are a string of small dots.  Notes are almost unreadable.

	3)  When I print using PCL or postscript the the notes imported
from ultra have the lines reversed.  Line two is above line one, line
three is above line two.  The screen display is normal.

	4)  When I export the drawing and use dot plotter the notes are ok
but the printer passes do not match.  Part of the drawing is missing
between each pass.

When I called about the dot plotter problem about a year ago I was
told that all the programmers were busy with window CAD and no one
could help me.  When I called about the postscript problem I was told
that they didn't have a postscript printer and couldn't help me if
they couldn't duplicate the problem. With out a printer they couldn't
duplicate the problem.

	Robert Futscher    rfutscher@pbs.org