[comp.windows.ms] printer driver for email?

reedj@hplsla.HP.COM (Reed Jacobsen) (01/11/91)

Is there such thing out there as a "Generic/Text Only" printer driver
that produces output suitable for email?  (Or does somebody have a
better way of getting email-able output from W4W or Excel?  The "Generic"
driver that comes with windows uses "overpunch" for bold and underline
and so-forth.  All I want is something that basically ignores all
enhanced text and just puts the tabs, paragraphs, columns, etc where
they belong - but into a simple ascii file.

Reed Jacobson
reedj@hplsla.hp.com

armil@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Armil) (01/11/91)

In article <3130049@hplsla.HP.COM> reedj@hplsla.HP.COM (Reed Jacobsen) writes:
>Is there such thing out there as a "Generic/Text Only" printer driver
>that produces output suitable for email?  (Or does somebody have a
>better way of getting email-able output from W4W or Excel?  The "Generic"
>driver that comes with windows uses "overpunch" for bold and underline
>and so-forth.  All I want is something that basically ignores all
>enhanced text and just puts the tabs, paragraphs, columns, etc where
>they belong - but into a simple ascii file.

I have similar requirements, although so far I haven't been concerned with
bold, etc.  Our mail package for the PC based LAN doesn't like tabs, so I
also need to replace tabs with spaces while retaining the columns, etc.

Here's what I've found so far, and it's not a complete solution.
	1) Print to a file using Generic/Text Only.
	2) Open the file with W4W.
	3) Save as Text Only with breaks.
The gotcha with this, besides being tedious, is that page breaks are not
handled correctly, i.e., both the formfeed and newline are lost, combining
the last line of one page with the first line of the next.

Any suggestions?

Steve Armil