[comp.windows.ms] Specifying size and placement for apps

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (01/08/91)

How can you configure the various Windows 3.0 application to come  up sized
corretly?  I know I can  start  the clock by  setting  the run= setting  in
WIN.INI  but  I would also  like to size  it appropriately, place it  in  a
specific place and remove the decorations.  When I  start clock it comes up
as a large (too large!) digitial clock.  I constantly have  to resize it to
be small and place it in the lower right corner, where I want it to reside.
Can  I modify settings  in WIN.INI so  that it comes  up that way?  Also, I
would like to  remove (or at  least make  much  tinier)  the title bar  and
buttons and perhaps remove the "Settings" menubar as I don't what to change
the settings once I've started it.

I would  also like to  size, place and alter  things on  other applications
(such as the progman,  solitare, etc) but  it is not  clear to me from  the
online help, how to do this.

sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) (01/11/91)

In article <27220005@hpclapd.HP.COM> defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>How can you configure the various Windows 3.0 application to come  up sized
>corretly?  I know I can  start  the clock by  setting  the run= setting  in
>WIN.INI  but  I would also  like to size  it appropriately, place it  in  a
>specific place and remove the decorations.  When I  start clock it comes up
>as a large (too large!) digitial clock.  I constantly have  to resize it to
>be small and place it in the lower right corner, where I want it to reside.
>Can  I modify settings  in WIN.INI so  that it comes  up that way?  Also, I
>would like to  remove (or at  least make  much  tinier)  the title bar  and
>buttons and perhaps remove the "Settings" menubar as I don't what to change
>the settings once I've started it.
>
>I would  also like to  size, place and alter  things on  other applications
>(such as the progman,  solitare, etc) but  it is not  clear to me from  the
>online help, how to do this.

There is a replacement for clock that you can FTP from cica.cica.indiana.edu,
called "clock.zip" (really cryptic, huh?). It should be in the windows utils
directory (I'm sure you can find it). The clock comes with its own .ini
file which allows you to set its color, its size, its location, an alarm time,
and a few more items...its a really neat looking analog clock too! blows that
clock from MS away...

If a windows application does not specifically look in an .ini file for
size and/or location, then an alternative that I've heard mentioned on the
net here is command post. I've never tried it so I can't say how well that
works. Aside from these two methods, I don't know of any way to place or size
a window. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (01/12/91)

In article <27220005@hpclapd.HP.COM> defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>I would  also like to  size, place and alter  things on  other applications
>(such as the progman,  solitare, etc) but  it is not  clear to me from  the
>online help, how to do this.

There is a program called LAYOUT.EXE available on cica in the /pub/pc/win3/util
directory (I think the file is layout.zip).  This program allows you to take
a snap shot of the layout configurations (size, placement) of all currently
running applications.  This layout can then be run at any later time and it
will adjust the applications such that they are setup the same as before.  I
think this will do what you need if you put it in your run= line.

Brian Town