[comp.windows.ms] Screen Capture

6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) (01/10/91)

When I press Alt-Printscreen inside the Windows environment, it seems to work
just fine.  I have also been able to capture text screens from non-Windows
programs.  But when it comes to non-Windows graphics, it does not let me do
screen capture.  Is there a setting I have not set correctly?  Do I have to
be in enhanced 386 mode?  Is there a separate utility that would allow me to
do this?  Help!
	- Boris Burtin

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (01/12/91)

In <1991Jan11.144314.10290@athena.mit.edu> acook@athena.mit.edu (Andrew R Cook) writes:

>In article <8073@hub.ucsb.edu> you write:
>|> When I press Alt-Printscreen inside the Windows environment, it seems to work
>|> just fine.  I have also been able to capture text screens from non-Windows
>|> programs.  But when it comes to non-Windows graphics, it does not let me do
>|> screen capture.  Is there a setting I have not set correctly?  Do I have to
>|> be in enhanced 386 mode?  Is there a separate utility that would allow me to
>|> do this?  Help!
>|> 	- Boris Burtin

>Hi -

>I'm not a windows expert, but I think I know the answer to this one.

<Long drawn out discussion of how Print Screen works deleted>

This is not how Print Screen works in Windows.  When you run DOS
applications under Windows, the Print Screen key works the same
as it does when running a Windows application, i.e., the interrupt
vectors for Print Screen point to the same places as they did when
you were in Windows.  The help for Clipboard, however, specifically
says you can't cut and paste from DOS applications running
in graphics mode.  It doesn't prevent you from doing it - the picture
just comes out garbled except for simple monochrome screens.

BTW, Andy Cook, your posts might be a little easier to read if you put
a carriage return at the end of each line instead of the end of each
paragraph.

Chuck

--
Chuck H. Chapman  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 528-7168
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!cchapman