[comp.windows.ms] Orchid PDPlus Video LOCKUP

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) (01/11/91)

I installed the 256 color Win 3 driver for my Orchid Prodesigner Plus
video card.  It works ok unless I move the mouse cursor to the top of the
screen while a program is loading.  The cursor is an hourglass at this
point, and locks up my whold system every time.

I do not have this problem at all with the standard VGA driver.  I got the
Orchid driver from Orchid's BBS and I'm sure it's the right one.

Any ideas?

   Lee Bollard                     unix:  bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               HPDesk:  Lee BOLLARD / HP1000/53
   Spokane Division          Compuserve:  72105,423
   (509)921-4608         * Opinions are my own, not my employer's *

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (01/12/91)

In article <10730009@hpspkla.spk.hp.com> bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) writes:
>I installed the 256 color Win 3 driver for my Orchid Prodesigner Plus
>video card.  It works ok unless I move the mouse cursor to the top of the
>screen while a program is loading.  The cursor is an hourglass at this
>point, and locks up my whold system every time.

I have the same card, and am running in 1024x768x256 with no problems.  The
board has 1Meg (of course); I'm running interlaced to a NEC 3D.  Windows
drivers are version 3.2 (older ones are on the BBS too, be careful).  My
video BIOS chips are version 3.3.

I have noticed that, with an IBM mono card installed, the board won't come up
in 16-bit mode, but only 8-bit, which slows the screen updates in Windows
by a factor of nearly 2 (measured, not estimated).  I'd sure love to know
how to fix that ...

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com