[comp.windows.ms] New windows user

PERETTI@auvm.auvm.edu (Brian J. Peretti) (01/10/91)

I know that this is a really stupid question but here they are:
I bought windows to be able to use it instead of automenu.  How do I make it so
that I can run my games from the inside the windows environment?  Is there a
phone number that I can call to get answers to my questions?  How do I use
windows to extend the memory of my computer?  I am pretty shore that I have I
MB of memory.

Thanks,
Brian

P.S.  you can respond either to my address or to the newsgroup

sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) (01/12/91)

In article <91009.204942PERETTI@auvm.auvm.edu> PERETTI@auvm.auvm.edu (Brian J. Peretti) writes:
>I know that this is a really stupid question but here they are:
>I bought windows to be able to use it instead of automenu.  How do I make it so
>that I can run my games from the inside the windows environment?  Is there a
>phone number that I can call to get answers to my questions?  How do I use
>windows to extend the memory of my computer?  I am pretty shore that I have I
>MB of memory.

First, there is a phone number in the windows manual that you can call for
assistance (though you'll have to wind your way through alot of phone
menus to find out anything usefull).

To run Dos programs in Windows you SHOULD create a .PIF file (though it's not
absolutely neccessary). You can do this by running "Pifedit" from the
Program Manager. You can run programs without a .PIF file by simply selecting
"run" from the File pulldown menu, or by clicking on them in the File Manager.
You can create icons for your Dos programs by dragging filenames in the
File Manager over to the Program Manager, then letting go of 'em. (these will
load without the benefit of a specialized .PIF file though!)

Lastly, you CANNOT run EGA/VGA games inside a window with the current version
of Windows. (as far as I know). Maybe they'll change that in the future? All
hi-rez games will run as a full screen program. (anyway, you can't run ANY
dos programs in windows without a '386 and several megs of memory).

Hope all this helps!
       -Rob

ps: Read the manual! It talks about those first two points with sufficient
    detail.