[comp.windows.ms] Help with Flipper?

gt2852c@prism.gatech.EDU (Edward Hefter) (01/13/91)

Help!
I just download FLIPPER from Cica.ci...., and when I try to run it, it gives
me the error "Can't access external device mode routine".  I haven't the
foggiest idea what it means, but I know it doesn't work. Suggestions? I am
using a 286 clone with a Panasonic printer (called Epson to windows) and
a Posatscript printer set-up (printing to a file). Flipper bombs when I
have either "printer" selected.

Any suggestions?

            |  Edward Hefter         gt2852c@prism.gatech.edu   |
            |  Currently Surviving the Georgia Tech Experience  |

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (01/16/91)

In article <19582@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt2852c@prism.gatech.EDU (Edward Hefter) writes:
>Help!
>I just download FLIPPER from Cica.ci...., and when I try to run it, it gives
>me the error "Can't access external device mode routine".  I haven't the
>foggiest idea what it means, but I know it doesn't work. Suggestions? I am
>using a 286 clone with a Panasonic printer (called Epson to windows) and
>a Posatscript printer set-up (printing to a file). Flipper bombs when I
>have either "printer" selected.

As the author of Flipper, maybe I can shed some light, if not help.  Flipper
uses an entry point in the printer driver called ExtDeviceMode (think that's
right; stuff IS at home), and uses DeviceMode (older style call) if it can't
find the ExtDeviceMode entry.  The message you're getting means that Flipper
could not find ExtDeviceMode and that the return from DeviceMode was
non-sensical when it tried to find out the current orientation of the printer.
I've seen this on several drivers of which the Epson is the most notable.

In any event, what you're seeing (as best as I can interpret what the drivers
do) is that some drivers simply don't support program-level determination
of orientation (or setting) by direct, documented methods.  I could probably
add code to check the page size in order to determine current orientation, but
that won't fix the problem of not being able to control orientation which is,
of course, the point of the program.  I don't see much in the way of options
other than to complain to the vendor of the driver (Microsoft in this case,
I assume).

Sorry I don't have better news.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com