[comp.windows.ms] PCNFS printer and MS Windows 3.0

wcwang@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Bill Wang) (01/16/91)

I couldn't quite get the remote printing working on PCNFS within
Windows 3.0.  It did work outside the WIN3.0 environment.
Basically, I put 'net use lpt2: \\server_name\printer_name'
in network.bat.  Window 3.0 applications couldn't print off
lpt2 at all. Any help would be appreciated.

--
Bill Wang
US Mail = Psychology Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (01/16/91)

wcwang@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Bill Wang) writes:

>I couldn't quite get the remote printing working on PCNFS within
>Windows 3.0.  It did work outside the WIN3.0 environment.
>Basically, I put 'net use lpt2: \\server_name\printer_name'
>in network.bat.  Window 3.0 applications couldn't print off
>lpt2 at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Within Windows, configure the PC-NFS printer to point to lpt2:OS2 (or
some similar extension) in the Control Panel/Printers/Configure menu.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

dana@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dan Aksel) (01/16/91)

In article <9762@cica.cica.indiana.edu> wcwang@cica.indiana.edu (Bill Wang) writes:
>I couldn't quite get the remote printing working on PCNFS within
>Windows 3.0.  It did work outside the WIN3.0 environment.
>Basically, I put 'net use lpt2: \\server_name\printer_name'
>in network.bat.  Window 3.0 applications couldn't print off
>lpt2 at all. Any help would be appreciated.

In WINDOWS 3.0, Printer Congigurations, change port from LPT2, to LPT2.OS2
This tells the print manager or spooler to hand the output data over to DOS and
allow the operating system to control the printer handler for you.

We do it here, works like a champ.
--------
Dan Aksel