[comp.windows.ms] Hidden features

dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.022122.487@ae.chalmers.se> hogstedt@ae.chalmers.se (PER HOGSTEDT) writes:

>Today I learned that pressing F3 while typing "win3", releasing F3 and hitting
>"Backspace" will display the names of the people involved in writing Win3.0
>as a background.
>
>The natural question is: what other hidden "features" have people discovered??

I don't know about anyone else, but these cutsie-ass "features" are a waste
of MY disk space, and a waste of MY RAM.  I hope that someone at Microsoft
reads this and passes along my feelings that they should spend their time
making Windows SMALLER, FASTER, and LESS BUG-RIDDEN (along with decreasing
the amount of time I have to wait on hold on their automated phone system :-(
instead of making me pay for these useless, stupid "features"!
--
Dave Dittrich
Dept. of Chemistry BG-10, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) (01/13/91)

>...  I hope that someone at Microsoft
>reads this and passes along my feelings that they should spend their time
>making Windows SMALLER, FASTER, and LESS BUG-RIDDEN (along with decreasing

Remember that one way of improving quality is allowing people to be
identified with their work.  If your name appears on a product, you
are probably more likely to try to make it as good as possible.

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (01/14/91)

> >...  I hope that someone at Microsoft reads this and passes along
> > my feelings that they should spend their time making Windows SMALLER,
> > FASTER, and LESS BUG-RIDDEN (along with decreasing
>
> Remember that one way of improving quality is allowing people to be
> identified with their work.  If your name appears on a product, you
> are probably more likely to try to make it as good as possible.

Speaking *as* a programmer, I know *I* pay more attention to my work
when I know the end-users know that I was the one who wrote it.  I kind
of like that "names" screen whimsy, the same way I liked the fact that
the original Mac had the names of its programmers embossed on the inside
of the case.  Our freeware Fractint program fires up with a scrolling
list of contributing authors for just that reason.

Personally, I think it's a little self-defeating to treat your staff as
non-entities, and this applies to more than your programmers.  I still
remember the comment by the owner of a company I used to work for when
we had a cutback - he explained that it really wasn't a cutback, because
we weren't eliminating the slots, we were just getting rid of the people...

ZUR058@DMSWWU1C.BITNET (Ulrich Hund) (01/15/91)

In article <819@nih-csl.nih.gov>, bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) says:

>> >...  I hope that someone at Microsoft reads this and passes along
>> > my feelings that they should spend their time making Windows SMALLER,
>> > FASTER, and LESS BUG-RIDDEN (along with decreasing
>>
>> Remember that one way of improving quality is allowing people to be
>> identified with their work.  If your name appears on a product, you
>> are probably more likely to try to make it as good as possible.
>
>Speaking *as* a programmer, I know *I* pay more attention to my work
>when I know the end-users know that I was the one who wrote it.  I kind

Sure, it is better when the programmers are identified with their product,
but if it is done via F3 "win3" F3 (what nobody should know) it is not
worth the trouble. Why don't tell the names in the manual or the startup
screen???  And: The Bug-Fixes are very important, even because everybody
knows the programmers now.

 Ulli

tlutz@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Todd Lutz) (01/17/91)

Here is a hidden feature of Word for Windows:
  1. Turn CAPS LOCK on.
  2. Choose Format, Define Styles, Options.
  3. In the Based On field, select Normal.
  4. You will get an error message, select OK.
  5. Select Cancel.
  6. Select Help, About.
  7. Make sure your mouse cursor is inside the help box, then press the
     following four keys all at the same time: OPUS

You should get some fireworks with the authors names scrolling on the
screen.