[comp.windows.ms] Problems with DOS 4.01?

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (01/15/91)

I have a small problem.  I went and got a copy of DOS 4.01, took my heart
in my hand, backed up my system, reformatted and restored, and then tried
to run windows.  It wouldn't run!  That is, when I start Windows it displays
the Microsoft title page and then, after doing some work, drops to a DOS
prompt.  Sigh.  I tried reinstalling Windows, although not in a fresh
directory.

Lemmesee - backing up a bit, the first problem I encountered was that
Windows dropped out right away, saying that a device file was corrupt or
something - something like vm86??? - so I tried messing with the system.ini
file.  Didn't work.  That's when I tried reinstalling.  I won't swear that
I didn't screw up something else in trying to get this all to work.

I installed DOS with the default setup, removing ANSI.SYS, leaving the
FASTFILE (or whatever it is) stuff, and adding HIMEM.SYS in config.sys.
I confess that I have not done a lot of reading in the DOS User Guide
as yet, so if the answer is RTFM, please be gentle!  :^>

Anyone have any pointers?

Steven
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan14.225000.8188@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
<I installed DOS with the default setup, removing ANSI.SYS, leaving the
<FASTFILE (or whatever it is) stuff, and adding HIMEM.SYS in config.sys.
<I confess that I have not done a lot of reading in the DOS User Guide
<as yet, so if the answer is RTFM, please be gentle!  :^>

Yes.. replace the dos 4.01 versions of HIMEM.SYS and SMARTDRV.SYS with those
from the windows 3.0 kit.  Things should then work much better.

Imagine that.. Windows incompatible with DOS !   Who else but MS..
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

yev_g@athena.mit.edu (Yevgeny Gurevich) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan14.225000.8188@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
>I have a small problem.  I went and got a copy of DOS 4.01, took my heart
>in my hand, backed up my system, reformatted and restored, and then tried
>to run windows.  It wouldn't run!  That is, when I start Windows it displays
>the Microsoft title page and then, after doing some work, drops to a DOS
>prompt.  Sigh.  I tried reinstalling Windows, although not in a fresh
>directory.
>>
>I installed DOS with the default setup, removing ANSI.SYS, leaving the
>FASTFILE (or whatever it is) stuff, and adding HIMEM.SYS in config.sys.
>I confess that I have not done a lot of reading in the DOS User Guide
>as yet, so if the answer is RTFM, please be gentle!  :^>
>
>Anyone have any pointers?

I am running Windows 3.0 under DOS 4.01 without any problem.  But then again,
it was the original OS on the HD.

You might check your DOS directory to make sure that there are no dos files
which are leftovers of the previous version.  Try removing FASTOPEN.  It seems
that it conflicts with SMARTDRV if it is loaded.
[============================================================================]
[ Yevgeny Gurevich        | yev_g@athena.mit.edu        \.\...]...........// ]
[ 500 Memorial Drive      |                              \.\..]..........//  ]
[ Cambridge, Mass. 02139  |                               \.\.].........//   ]
[ ========================|                                \.\]__......//    ]
[ "Tech is Hell!"                                           |.]__\..../|     ]
[===========================================================|.]...\../.|=====]
                                                            |_]____\/__|

fdq@athena.mit.edu (Fred D Quintana) (01/18/91)

   In article <1991Jan14.225000.8188@mrspoc.Transact.COM> steven@Transact.COM writes:
   >I have a small problem.  I went and got a copy of DOS 4.01, took my heart
   >in my hand, backed up my system, reformatted and restored, and then tried
   >to run windows.  It wouldn't run!  That is, when I start Windows it displays
   >the Microsoft title page and then, after doing some work, drops to a DOS
   >prompt.  Sigh.  I tried reinstalling Windows, although not in a fresh
   >directory.
   >>
   >I installed DOS with the default setup, removing ANSI.SYS, leaving the
   >FASTFILE (or whatever it is) stuff, and adding HIMEM.SYS in config.sys.
   >I confess that I have not done a lot of reading in the DOS User Guide
   >as yet, so if the answer is RTFM, please be gentle!  :^>
   >
   >Anyone have any pointers?

When you install windowsyou MUST make sure that NO other programs (tsrs) are
running.  Delete you "config.sys" and "autoexec.bat" files and find any copy
of "share.exe" and rename it to something else.  Then run the Windows setup
program.  Once this is done, you can reinstate your "config.sys" and
"autoexec.bat" files and rename share back to "share.exe".

The reason you need to do this to share is that the makers of DOS 4.01 felt
"share.exe" was so important that if the user didn't start it personally, DOS
4.01 would do a little looking around and start it itself if it found it.  You
don't want it during the installation of windows because anything that
is running could corrupt the installation process.

| Fred D. Quintana                  \    Never put off till tomorrow what     |
| Internet: <fdq@athena.mit.edu>     \     you can avoid all together.        |
| UUCP:   mit-eddie!mit-athena!fdq    \                                       |