[comp.windows.ms] Auto-Raise for Windows

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (01/15/91)

I have written a utility for Windows 3.0 called Auto-Raise.  It allows
you to select the active window simply by pointing to it.  You don't
have to click in it.  Alas I don't have access to an ftp server so I
gave a copy of the program to someone to place on cica.  Will someone
mail me if they see the file up there (or if they don't).  The file
should be called RAISE103.ZIP.

Thank You

Robert F. Nee

mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) (01/15/91)

Robert,

Is it possible to write a utility to disable the auto-raise that
occurs when you click on a window?  I'd sure like to be able
to type in a window without having it pop up over all the
other windows.

Michael B. Williams

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (01/15/91)

In <1991Jan14.225224.20851@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) writes:

>Robert,

>Is it possible to write a utility to disable the auto-raise that
>occurs when you click on a window?  I'd sure like to be able
>to type in a window without having it pop up over all the
>other windows.

>Michael B. Williams

Me too.  Me too!  ME TOO!

Robert

PS This has got to be the MOST frustrating 'feature' of windows.

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/16/91)

In article <147@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>I have written a utility for Windows 3.0 called Auto-Raise.  It allows
>you to select the active window simply by pointing to it.  You don't
>have to click in it.  Alas I don't have access to an ftp server so I
>gave a copy of the program to someone to place on cica.  Will someone
>mail me if they see the file up there (or if they don't).  The file
>should be called RAISE103.ZIP.

Sorry to post, but mail bounces.

There is a "raise.zip". Perhaps that is the one.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

mikew@charm.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) (01/19/91)

In article <2770009@hparc0.HP.COM>, doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
|> When you encapsulate DOS and Windows programs, NewWave acts as a shell
|> around the program and thus has control over it.  Once a program is
|> encapsulated, you can click on the window (or use the RAISE program) and
|> type into it without having it raise to the top.  If you want the window
|> with the focus to be the top window, click on the top bar.

If this is true (and I hope it is), it will be worth the full cost (and every bit of disk space)
of NewWave!  Does this work for all programs, and what exactly does it mean to
``encapsulate'' DOS and Windows programs?

Michael B. Williams	      \ 1-2-3-4, KICK THE LAWSUITS OUT THE DOOR
MIT NE43-532 		       \ 5-6-7-8, INNOVATE DON'T LITIGATE
Laboratory for Computer Science \ 9-A-B-C, INTERFACES SHOULD BE FREE
545 Technology Square	         \ D-E-F-0, LOOK AND FEEL HAS GOT TO GO!
(617) 253-5983   Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu   CompuServe: 73667,3264