[comp.windows.ms] Extended memory as EMS?

tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) (01/18/91)

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a utility that will (a) allow extended
memory to be used as EMS (expanded memory), (b) will not conflict with the
Windows HIMEM.SYS driver, (c) (optional) is shareware or PD?

Here's my situation: Generic 12 MHz AT clone, 0 wait, 2 MB memory on mother
board (1.4 Meg configured as extended memory), DOS 3.3, Windows 3.0.  I have
an EMS driver, but in order to use it, I'd have to go inside my machine and
reconfigure some dip switches to make my extra RAM into EMS.  The only reason I
would like EMS capability is that several utilities I want to use (like Qmodem
and several DOS enhancers) have the ability to use EMS, but extended memory
is not EMS so therefore I am limited.  Plus, there are some games and other
"Serious" software on the market that need EMS or they will not run (Wing
Commander, for example).  I don't want to give up running Windows in standard
(protected) mode, but I also want to be able to use software that requires EMS.
Any help would be appreciated.
--
Robert P. Poole                       tarquin@athena.mit.edu
46 Massachusetts Avenue               MIT Course VIII

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (01/18/91)

I think you'll find a 286 machine can't do this satisfactorily in software.
You're gonna need hardware help. If you've got a 386 then good ol' emm386,sys
with windows can do the trick, but 286's don't map memory the same way a 386
can so it ain't possible.

I'll tell ya how it all works if you want....

Regards, Dan C.

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (01/18/91)

In <1991Jan17.234608.26339@athena.mit.edu> tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) writes:

>I'd like to know if anyone knows of a utility that will (a) allow extended
>memory to be used as EMS (expanded memory), (b) will not conflict with the
>Windows HIMEM.SYS driver, (c) (optional) is shareware or PD?

The driver EMM386.SYS is an expanded memory emulator that is included with
Windows.  It allows you to run programs that require expanded memory in
Windows real mode or when you are not running Windows.  It uses extended
memory to simulate expanded memory.  Information on setting it up is in
the Windows manual.

Chuck

--
Chuck H. Chapman  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 528-7168
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!cchapman

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (01/19/91)

In <58940004@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:

>I think you'll find a 286 machine can't do this satisfactorily in software.
>You're gonna need hardware help. If you've got a 386 then good ol' emm386,sys
>with windows can do the trick, but 286's don't map memory the same way a 386
>can so it ain't possible.

Ooops!  I didn't notice that Robert had a 286 machine.  Please disregard
my previous post about using EMM386.SYS.

Chuck

--
Chuck H. Chapman  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 528-7168
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!cchapman
Internet: cchapman@msd.gatech.edu

tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) (01/19/91)

I thought you needed a 386 processor to use EMM386.SYS -- when I said I had
an AT clone, I wasn't kidding.  My machine uses a 286.  If I can really run
EMM386.SYS, so much the better.  Otherwise...