[comp.windows.ms] Orchid ProDesigner Plus 800x600 mode and W4W problem

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (01/18/91)

> plum@mpx1.lampf.lanl.gov writes:
> Person: Plum, Michael A.
>
> When running in 800x600 mode, WINDOWS 3.0 runs fine, except when I use
> WORD FOR WINDOWS and EXCEL.  In the case of WORD FOR WINDOWS, I still get
> just 6.5 inches across the screen, same as for VGA.  Microsoft has attempted
> to solve the problem with no success.  Orchid refuses to believe there is
> a problem with their driver.

     This problem is part of a class of problems (or better yet, obscure areas)
related to Super VGA modes.  The display which you get for WfW seems to depend
on both the actual 800x600 driver supplied by the video card manufacturer, and
by which fonts are used with the driver.  I have been looking at video cards
for use with WfW, intending to run in 800x600 mode in order to see more of the
page.  I have observed the following behaviours in 800x600 mode, using drivers
supplied by the video card manufacturers:

1)   ATI VGA Wonder card:  setting up Windows with the 800x600 driver gives
about 8 inches horizontally of the page visible.  The standard VGA fonts are
still used.  Since the same number of pixels are used for each letter, letters
are slightly smaller on the screen.

2)    Brand X card using Trident chip set:  same behaviour as ATI card

3)    Brand X card using Tseng chip set:  the driver supplied with the card
still gives only about 6 inches of visible page (as seen by the ruler).
However, the installation of the driver also changes the fonts specified in the
win.ini file to the font set designed for the IBM 8514 1024x768 monitor.
(note, a font such as Helvetica is labled HELVE in its VGA version and HELVF in
its 8515 version).  8514 fonts are also specified for system use.  Since the
8514 fonts use more pixels to draw each character, the net result of changing
to 800x600 is to increase the definition that each character is drawn with,
rather than using the increased pixels to increase the amount of paper seen on
the screen.

--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

plum@mpx1.lampf.lanl.gov (Plum, Michael A.) (01/18/91)

When running in 800x600 mode, WINDOWS 3.0 runs fine, except when I use
WORD FOR WINDOWS and EXCEL.  In the case of WORD FOR WINDOWS, I still get
just 6.5 inches across the screen, same as for VGA.  Microsoft has attempted
to solve the problem with no success.  Orchid refuses to believe there is
a problem with their driver.

My question is this:  Does anyone else have this problem with the Orchid
ProDesigner Plus card and driver?  I am using a Dell system 325 (386
machine) and a NEC MultiSync 3D monitor.  This problem does not occur
with the 1024x768 driver in interlaced mode (I can't use that mode for too
long because of the flicker problem).

Help!

6600wise@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike Schmitt) (01/19/91)

Several people have posted about a problem with getting W4W to
recognize screen fonts.  Here's what I discovered:

Windows recognizes the resolution of any device in two ways: how
SETUP defines and how the device itself defines it.  For example,
if you look in SETUP.INF in the SYSTEM directory, you'll see under
the [Display] section (or whatever it is) the resolution - for
example, "100,96,96" (standard VGA resolution) and "100,120,120"
(8514/a resolution).  Setup will install the fonts based on the
SETUP.INF description - e.g. if you change the standard VGA
driver to "100,120,120" and run Setup, you'll get 8514/a fonts.
Nice and big.

However, W4W relies on the resolution reported by the -device-, not
the SETUP.INF file.  Thus, if the device (meaning the driver)
reports "100,96,96", then W4W will recognize it as VGA resolution
and attempt to use VGA fonts.  However, since Setup -removes- the
VGA fonts when it installs the 8514/a fonts, W4W is unable to load
the font and you'll get the system font.

I discovered this while first playing around with an Orchid Pro-
Designer II.  W4W displayed nothing but the system font.  However,
a new set of drivers I just got from the Orchid BBS (1-415-683-0327)
corrected the problem; the 800x600 driver now operates at 8514/a
resolution, and looks good, too!  :-)

Mike
6600wise@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu