[comp.windows.ms] Auto-Raise conflicts with ScreenPeace

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (01/16/91)

I just installed Auto Raise (from cica raise.zip) and I found that it
conflicts with ScreenPeace (latest version also from cica).  When
ScreenPeace kicks in, it doesn't recognize any mouse or keyboard
action except ALT-TAB.  Beautiful effects appear then (fireworks
through a .wri document etc).  After a while nothing can be done,
except watching the efforts of the screen saver.

My system is a CompuAdd 286 with 1Mbyte and a standard VGA.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?  I like both programs so I
don't want to get rid of either of them.

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)
>>>          Hoe ver je ook gaat, overal zie je landgenoten           <<<

dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu (01/16/91)

	It conflicts with Magic too. System completely hangs when Magic comes
	on if auto-raise is installed. A reboot was the only way out. So I
	suggest that when people want to try these new stuff they should
	allways save and close all applications first and prepare for windows
	to crash.

	I don't know if it's a bug in Magic or in auto-raise. But since
	you say screen-peace hangs also I assume it's a problem in auto-raise.
	Apperantly the Author doesn't use either screen-peace or Magic. (No
	offense meant here.)

	I deleted auto-raise from my hard disk 10 minutes after downloading it.

	Joe

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (01/16/91)

In <26327@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) writes:

>I just installed Auto Raise (from cica raise.zip) and I found that it
>conflicts with ScreenPeace (latest version also from cica).  When
>ScreenPeace kicks in, it doesn't recognize any mouse or keyboard
>action except ALT-TAB.  Beautiful effects appear then (fireworks
>through a .wri document etc).  After a while nothing can be done,
>except watching the efforts of the screen saver.

 I found the same thing.  However, it appears that you can get around it by
two have co-existed peacefully (sorry) for over a week.

-Chris

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (01/17/91)

As the author of Auto-Raise for windows I would like to see that all
problems with it's operation are solved.

First I'd like to ask all users with problems to check to see which
version they are running.  The current version I am supporting is
1.03.  This version fixes the problem Auto-Raise was having with
screen savers.  In fact I was directed to the problem by one of my
users.  I did not have a copy on Magic at the time the previous
versions of Auto-Raise were released.  I am happy to report that I
use Auto-Raise with Magic with no problems.

The version of Auto-Raise on cica was not placed there by me.  I
do not have direct outside ftp access due to my firm's data
security policies.  I would be glad to transfer the latest release
of Auto-Raise to anyone who has cica access so that they may
place it there.

I regret any bad first impressions anyone was given by the first
releases and I will do anything I can to correct them.

You may contact me through the address or telephone number given
in the documentation.  Unfortunatley mail sent to me tends to
bounce.

Robert Nee

mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (01/17/91)

In article <6589@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu (zhou) writes:

>	It conflicts with Magic too. System completely hangs when Magic comes
>	on if auto-raise is installed.
Raise 1.03 works with Magic 1.1 if the raise "ignore icons" box is checked.

--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (01/20/91)

In article <149@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>As the author of Auto-Raise for windows I would like to see that all
>problems with it's operation are solved.
>
>First I'd like to ask all users with problems to check to see which
>version they are running.  The current version I am supporting is
>1.03.	This version fixes the problem Auto-Raise was having with
>screen savers.  In fact I was directed to the problem by one of my
>users.  I did not have a copy on Magic at the time the previous
>versions of Auto-Raise were released.	I am happy to report that I
>use Auto-Raise with Magic with no problems.
>
>The version of Auto-Raise on cica was not placed there by me.	I
>do not have direct outside ftp access due to my firm's data
>security policies.  I would be glad to transfer the latest release
>of Auto-Raise to anyone who has cica access so that they may
>place it there.

The version I got from cica must have been an earlier release, because
it does conflict with screen peace.  I suspect that many users, like
myself, would love to have the latest release. The utility is an excellent
one, but for those of us who are addicted to Screen Peace, the incompatibility
is a problem.

Saul Traiger
traiger@oxy.edu