[comp.windows.ms] Windows, 55SX, and Mouse problems

sdodd@darkstar.cs.orst.edu (Stephen_M_Dodd) (01/20/91)

Hi,

I was working wan IBM 55sx running Windows 3 and an IBM mouse.
The users also wished to use Quattro Pro.  When I ran MOUSE.COM
to enable the mouse for Quattro, the next time I ran Windows the
screen colors were very strange and many of the window titles had
disappeared.  The only way I could get Windows right again was to
boot out the MOUSE.COM.

Has anybody else noticed this and discovered a solution.

Steve Dodd
OSU Extension

nef@mace.cc.purdue.edu (paulhicks) (01/21/91)

In article <22408@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> sdodd@darkstar.cs.orst.edu (Stephen_M_Dodd) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I was working wan IBM 55sx running Windows 3 and an IBM mouse.
>The users also wished to use Quattro Pro.  When I ran MOUSE.COM
>to enable the mouse for Quattro, the next time I ran Windows the
>screen colors were very strange and many of the window titles had
>disappeared.  The only way I could get Windows right again was to
>boot out the MOUSE.COM.
>
>Has anybody else noticed this and discovered a solution.
>
>Steve Dodd
>OSU Extension
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve,

I'm not familiar with Quattro Pro, nor am I much of a windows
guru.  However I do know, it's either been mentioned in this group
or in the mannual, that MOUSE.COM is incompatable with Windows 3.0.
I think its something to do with memory management (If anyone
knows exactly, I'd love to know, thanks).  The way to use the
mouse is to put mouse.sys on CONFIG.SYS.  This is done in the
setup phase of windows.  Whether this works with Q/Pro I have no
idea.  Good luck!

I have a question for all the WIN/3 experts.  If I make a
perminant swap file, say of 6 meg, why do I get "out of memory"
errors when I run multiple dos applications? (some of which require
640K each) Is it something to do with 'paging'? and what does that
mean?

thanks in advance

Paul

|"...and on the eigth day god created the Sauter Mean Diameter." |
|                                   - D.W.Senser                 |