[comp.windows.ms] New version of Usher to be released

george@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (01/17/91)

Thanks for all the interest in Usher.  I've been swamped with
email messages requesting a uuencoded version.  If you're
interested in a version emailed to you then please write.
If you've already written then I've got your name on file.
If you have ftp access use that instead.  I do need to work on
some of my classes :-).

I'll probably upload the next release to GEnie and CompuServe
if all goes well.

The new release will come out this weekend.  I'll upload
to cica (of course).  It will go into pub/pc/win3/uploads as
usher101.zip.  I imagine the sysop will move the file to
pub/pc/win3/util.  Hopefully, he/she will remove the old usher.zip.

New features I will add:
    - A way for you to add separating lines to your personal menus.
      Probably @@LINE@@ or something like that in the usher.ini file.

    - I'll move About, Reload, and Close under a hierarchical menu
      Close already goes away if Usher is the shell (since you can't
      really close the shell).  A person suggested keywords similar to
      @@LINE@@ for these menu options.  That would be OK but I think
      these are important enough so that they should always be
      available.  Especially the About!! :-)

    - I'll add Button=left or Button=right support from the
      usher.ini file.  That way those who like the right button
      activating the menu will be happy.  The default will be
      the left button.

    - I'll look into adding an option for keeping the menu up
      instead of having to hold the button down.  I think this
      is an easy addition but I'm not sure.

    - For those concerned about size, these additions shouldn't add
      much to the overall code size.

Thanks again for your interest in Usher.  Feel free to email or
post any other suggestions.  If you write before the next release
I'll try to put it in Usher 1.01.

george

| o |  George Browning                 george@catt.ncsu.edu        | o |
| o |  NC State University             Raleigh, NC                 | o |

cccstevn@underdog (Steve Ansell) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.222658.4806@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> george@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (George Browning) writes:

>Thanks again for your interest in Usher.  Feel free to email or
>post any other suggestions.  If you write before the next release
>I'll try to put it in Usher 1.01.

The only other option I would like to see is the amount of free memory
available (ala the date & time lines).  This way I could see just how
much memory Usher is saving me (unless of course adding this option
would eat up too much of that memory itself :-)

						-Steven T. Ansell
						Computer Center Consultant
						Computing Services U.C.D.

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (01/18/91)

I have one suggestion for you (otherwise I love Usher).  In the "Run..."
dialog box, there seems to be a peculiar facination with requiring the
extention and full pathname for the app to run.  Just typing "notepad"
results in nothing (not even an error).  Unless I'm already in my /windows/bin
directory, I must enter the full name.  Can it be fixed to search the PATH?

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (01/18/91)

Hi George.

Just tried USHER and it seems to be what I'm looking for.
I normally use unix X11/windows and our implementation has the
same idea for the menus.

I noticed that you'v posted a note saying that you will be updating
USHER with enhancements.  One thing that our x11 windows menu can do
that you may want to include is seperate menus for each button.
Normally, our users have the left button loaded with applications, te
right button loaded with utilities, and the middle button (or both together)
loaded with major functions like exit, refresh, and re-init.  This could be
a good place to put the About... and time/date stamp.

The way that our menu works when it is near an edge is slightly different.
Not necessarily better, mind you, but different:  If you bring up the menu
when it is close to the right edge of the screen, the menu and all submenus
will align to the righthand edge (ie. overlap one another).  I've found it
confusing to the eyes when the sub menus jump to the left on USHER.

One anomaly I noted was that the win.ini entries for load= and run= were
not being executed when I ran USHER as a shell.  The reason came to me when
I was watching the Gulf news last night (strange where the mind wanders in
times of duress): I keep my windows programs in a sub-directory called PROGRAMS
and reference the files in it thus:  load= programs/MYPROG.EXE  programs/ABC.EXE

When I changed them to be   load=c:\windows\programs\myprog.exe  then USHER
loaded them correctly.  I suppose that Windows/3 is looking for the files
relative to the Windows3 directory, whereas USHER is looking for them relative
to the directory where WIN is issued (the root, normally).

Oh - a good reason to add the multiple menu functionality (left, right, and
middle/both) would be to get rid of the competition.  It's too confusing/
complex/frustrating to have 2 programs doing one job.

Hope this helps.  I'll send my s/w money as soon as I can get some
converted (I'm in Australia).

Doug Parsons,
Hewlett Packard Australia

[standard disclaimer]

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (01/19/91)

In article <2770010@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>Just tried USHER and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Can I get Usher by anonymous ftp from somewhere?   Carl Riehm.

george@hobbes.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (01/21/91)

In article <279752B7.25239@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>In article <2770010@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>>Just tried USHER and it seems to be what I'm looking for.
>
>Can I get Usher by anonymous ftp from somewhere?   Carl Riehm.

Soon you'll be able to get Usher 1.1 from cica.  I'll post it
on Monday.  Just finished adding a whole bunch of features!!!
I'm testing and updating the documentation now.

Stay tuned to this newsgroup!