[comp.windows.ms] Tseng 4000 questions

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (01/18/91)

OK, so I have upgraded my 3-year-old 8-bit 256K Paradise VGA+ to a 16-bit
1MB Tseng 4000 card (aka Orchid ProDesigner II).  Sure, it seems that
Windows runs faster, but there are open questions...

      *	I ran the PC Mag benchmarks with both cards (benchg11.zip from cica),
	using 800x600x16 in 386 Enhanced mode.  The results show the Tseng
	card as only 3% faster on the average (20% faster on rectangles)!
	What gives?  Is the Tseng driver (tseng4k.zip from cica) really that
	slow?

      *	The driver package did not include a 1024x768x16, just a 1024x768x256.
	Has anyone seen a 1024x768 16-color driver?  Despite the slight amount
	of flicker from my NEC 3D, I'd like to have a 1024x768 handy, and the
	256-color mode is a tad slow.

Thanks once again for comments...  :)

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

Tom Haapanen <tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu> writes:
> OK, so I have upgraded my 3-year-old 8-bit 256K Paradise VGA+ to a 16-bit
> 1MB Tseng 4000 card (aka Orchid ProDesigner II).  [...]
>     * The driver package did not include a 1024x768x16, just a 1024x768x256.
>	Has anyone seen a 1024x768 16-color driver?

...well, the Orchid driver package includes just such a beast, and it seems
to work just fine.  I guess the drivers are interchangeable between Orchid
and generic Tseng 4000.

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (01/21/91)

Tom Haapanen <tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu> writes:
> OK, so I have upgraded my 3-year-old 8-bit 256K Paradise VGA+ to a 16-bit
> 1MB Tseng 4000 card (aka Orchid ProDesigner II).  Sure, it seems that
> Windows runs faster, but there are open questions...
>     * I ran the PC Mag benchmarks with both cards (benchg11.zip from cica),
>	using 800x600x16 in 386 Enhanced mode.  The results show the Tseng
>	card as only 3% faster on the average (20% faster on rectangles)!

All right, two main points:
    1. Several people pointed out that the benchmarks are very processor-
       intensive and even a fast card won't show much improvement.
    2. Mike Schmitt deduced that I was running the card in 8-bit mode
       <blush>.

I've rerun the benchmarks, and here are the updated performance figures:
	Paradise VGA+ 	8-bit		1.000
	Tseng 4000	8-bit		1.053
	Tseng 4000	16-bit		1.107
The benchmarks usually quoted in PC Mag are only a small subset of
the overall set, and can thus show more dramatic differences.  For
example, Tseng is much faster than Paradise in drawing rectangles,
and 16-bit mode dramatically improves BitBlt times.

The final call?  I'm happy with the Tseng, and a bit more informed!  :)