[net.followup] Need cpio.c source

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (04/28/85)

In article <55@ecrcvax.UUCP> pete@ecrcvax.UUCP (Pete Delaney) writes:

>	Sigh.  For some strange reason Berkely 4.2 doesn't come with
>SCCS or cpio.  These turkeys makeing releases should get their sh*t
>together!  Would someone out there in net land please send a copy of
>the new System V cpio so we can read our release tape so that we can
>get the source of SCCS, so that we can use the latest kernel.

I feel obligated to point out the reason why 4.2BSD does not include
cpio or SCCS.  If they did, AT&T would be justified in legal action
to stop them from distributing 4.2BSD at all.  Contrary to a comment
I just read here, 4.2BSD requires a UNIX/32V license, NOT a System V
license.  This means that Berkeley can include AT&T code that was
in UNIX/32V, but they do not have permission from AT&T to include
code from other AT&T versions of UNIX.

In particular, cpio and SCCS were both in PWB/UNIX 1.0, in System III,
and in System V, but not in V7 or 32V.  So it would be illegal for
Berkeley to include them in their system unless they required one
of these licenses from everyone they distribute UNIX to.

Before anyone sends a copy to ecrcvax, you'd best verify that ecrcvax
has a System V license.  Otherwise you'll be violating your license.

Incidently, while the V7/nBSD family does not have cpio, they do have
tar, a similar program.  Since System III and System V have tar (except
for the 3B2, which for some reason left it out) it has emerged that
the only universal complete file packaging format for UNIX is tar format,
for tapes and for UUCP images.  Apparently for this reason, /usr/group
has adopted tar format as part of the UNIX standard.

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (04/29/85)

> 	Sigh.  For some strange reason Berkely 4.2 doesn't come with
> SCCS or cpio.  These turkeys makeing releases should get their sh*t
> together!  Would someone out there in net land please send a copy of
> the new System V cpio so we can read our release tape so that we can
> get the source of SCCS, so that we can use the latest kernel.
>
> 	SUMMARY:
> 		Please send a copy oc cpio.c that supports the
> 		new ASCII headers (ie: the -c option).  If any
> 		other library functions not found in System 5
> 		are required please send them also.  I would
> 		prefer a copy already running on 4.2BSD.
> --

Is it just my imagination or is this person asking System V owners
to break their licensing agreements by sending him proprietary code?
Perhaps I don't understand the Berkeley licensing system well enough,
but it seems to me that if you don't pay for System V you don't get
(any of) System V.  Comments/more info?
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (04/30/85)

> > 	Sigh.  For some strange reason Berkely 4.2 doesn't come with
> > SCCS or cpio.  These turkeys makeing releases should get their sh*t
> > together!  Would someone out there in net land please send a copy of
> > the new System V cpio so we can read our release tape so that we can
> > get the source of SCCS, so that we can use the latest kernel.
> >
> Is it just my imagination or is this person asking System V owners
> to break their licensing agreements by sending him proprietary code?
> Perhaps I don't understand the Berkeley licensing system well enough,
> but it seems to me that if you don't pay for System V you don't get
> (any of) System V.  Comments/more info?
> --
First, if the person has a "release tape" in CPIO format, I'd think that
they have a System V release tape, and just don't know how to extract
cpio from the boot block.  Unless they are completely confused, and think
that their tar tape is in CPIO format.

On the other hand, writing a program to interpret CPIO format is not very
hard.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

The above opinions are those exclusively of superior beings.  If you don't
share them, I'm not surprised.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/30/85)

> > 	Sigh.  For some strange reason Berkely 4.2 doesn't come with
> > SCCS or cpio.  These turkeys makeing releases should get their sh*t
> > together!  Would someone out there in net land please send a copy of
> > the new System V cpio so we can read our release tape so that we can
> > get the source of SCCS, so that we can use the latest kernel.
> >
> > 	SUMMARY:
> > 		Please send a copy oc cpio.c that supports the
> > 		new ASCII headers (ie: the -c option).  If any
> > 		other library functions not found in System 5
> > 		are required please send them also.  I would
> > 		prefer a copy already running on 4.2BSD.
> > --
>
> Is it just my imagination or is this person asking System V owners
> to break their licensing agreements by sending him proprietary code?
> Perhaps I don't understand the Berkeley licensing system well enough,
> but it seems to me that if you don't pay for System V you don't get
> (any of) System V.  Comments/more info?

He did pay for system V.  He's sitting there with the System V tape, but
he can't read it because he doesn't have the new CPIO.  AT&T intends that
you install their distribution tapes on a blank system, they never have
provided any other means of reading them.

By the way, you can get a complete release of System V running under 4.2
from BRL.  Contact Doug Gwyn (...!seismo!brl-tgr!gwyn) for information.

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (05/01/85)

> Perhaps I don't understand the Berkeley licensing system well enough,
> but it seems to me that if you don't pay for System V you don't get
> (any of) System V.  Comments/more info?

It's my understanding that you can't get a Berkeley 4.2 license without
an AT&T System V license.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

ron@celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) (05/01/85)

In article <55@ecrcvax.UUCP> pete@ecrcvax.UUCP (Pete Delaney) writes:

>	Sigh.  For some strange reason Berkely 4.2 doesn't come with
>SCCS or cpio.  These turkeys makeing releases should get their sh*t
>together!  Would someone out there in net land please send a copy of
>the new System V cpio so we can read our release tape so that we can
>get the source of SCCS, so that we can use the latest kernel.
>
>	SUMMARY:
>		Please send a copy oc cpio.c that supports the
>		new ASCII headers (ie: the -c option).  If any
>		other library functions not found in System 5
>		are required please send them also.  I would
>		prefer a copy already running on 4.2BSD.
>--
>Pete Delaney - Rockey Mnt UNIX Consultant 	Phone: (49) 89 9269-139
>European Computer-Industry Research Center 	UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!pete
>ArabellaStrasse 17 				UUCP Domain: pete@ecrcvax.UUCP
>D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany 		X25: (262)-45890040262
>CSNET:pete%ecrcvax.UUCP@Germany.CSNET		     Login: <to be provided?>

Hay, while you're at it, please run me off a copy of the sys 5 release tape!
Hope you don't mind sending it to my home address. . .

McD

keld@diku.UUCP (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (05/02/85)

cpio is part of the UNIX/1100 system for Sperry 1100 machines,
which is a Version 7 licence. Well, so reads my academic source
license! So you can get cpio for V7, but not for 32V!
32V does not give you the right to copy from V7, this "previous
systems" copying is only in S3 and after.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/02/85)

> First, if the person has a "release tape" in CPIO format, I'd think that
> they have a System V release tape, and just don't know how to extract
> cpio from the boot block.

	Imagine the following scenario (which was indeed the case at my
site).  You have both 4.2 BSD and Sys 5 source licenses and distributions.
You are running 4.2 on your single RA-81 drive system.  You want to get
some of the utilities off the Sys 5 tape.  What do you do?

	Well, you could do a from-scratch installation of Sys 5 and copy
the cpio source to a tape, but wait!  This means having to dump your whole
4.2 system and then re-install it, but that won't work anyway because Sys 5
(at least the distribution I got) doesn't know about uda-50 drives (fie on
Western Electric).  So, again, what do you do?

	You sit down with the Sys 5 hardcopy manual and write a bare-bones
cpio tape lister.  Hey, it works, and only took a couple of hours.  You're
feeling good about the universe in general at this point, but it's a real
drag waiting for the tape to spin every time you try a new version.  No
problem, you 'dd' the entire /usr file system from the tape to disk (you
have a fairly new system so you still have gobs of free disk space, lucky
you).  You hack up the lister a bit to turn it into a bare-bones extractor,
and use that to get off the cpio sources.  This works too, still feeling
good.  Compile the real cpio, no errors.  Try it out, it works just like
it's supposed to.  Hey, this is real cool, life is wonderful, cries of joy
and exultation!

	Then suddenly, MASSIVE DOWNER!  Shock, disbelief, dismay, emotional
pain and suffering, BUMMER!  The graphics stuff is missing!  You read the
manual over and over again and finally realize that the Administrative guide
and the System Release Description differ on how many cpio files are on the
tape.  You decide the SRD is right and it turns out to be so.  You decide
that the universe is wonderful again and your karma is back in alignment.

	The bottom line is that I have a program which reads cpio tapes
which I wrote myself working only from the documentation (that makes it
public domain, yes?).  If anybody wants it, it's yours for the asking.
Given sufficient interest, I'll post it to the net.  I'll hold off a couple
of days on answering requests for it to give anybody who is knowledgeable
about licensing (Mark Horton?) to tell me I'm not allowed to do this.
--
allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)

wcs@ho95b.UUCP (Bill Stewart) (05/04/85)

DEC sells device driver software to use RA-81s and RA-60s on UNIX
systems running either either System V or System V Release 2.
(But NOT SYstem V Release 2 Version 2 <the paging version>.  The paging
version made some changes to the compiler and/or loader, including a
new magic number, and there were a few files that DEC and the paging
group both messed with.  Some people here have gotten the two to work
together, but it was not painless.)

We've used their drivers, and they're not bad - the 750 version has a
few mistakes that are fixed in the SVR2 version, but we're running
System V on it so our boot procedure is a bit messy.

The technical contact at DEC is Dave Leonard, at the Holmdel NJ
office (1-201-946-9403).

				Bill Stewart

Disclaimer - this of course does not represent policy of AT&T Bell
Labs, DEC, or anybody.  UNIX, DEC, VAX, RA***, and V are trademarks of
AT&T, DEC, and various space invaders.
--
			Bill Stewart	1-201-949-0705
			AT&T Bell Labs, Room 4K-435, Holmdel NJ

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/07/85)

> > Perhaps I don't understand the Berkeley licensing system well enough,
> > but it seems to me that if you don't pay for System V you don't get
> > (any of) System V.  Comments/more info?
>
> It's my understanding that you can't get a Berkeley 4.2 license without
> an AT&T System V license.
>
> 				robert

For 4.2 BSD you must have at least a V7 license.  You will probably need
a SysV licence for 4.3.

This means, of course, that having a 4.2 licence does NOT imply having
a SysV license.
--
-- Sean Casey
--

		"We're all bozos on this bus."

pete@ecrcvax.UUCP (Pete Delaney) (05/07/85)

I got the cpio and SCCS get stuff, thanks.  If anyone else needs a copy I'll
forwward you a copy (Assuming you have the right licenceses, of course).
I suppose it can't be posted to net.sources, unfortunately.

Pete Delaney - Rocky Mnt. Unix Consultant	Phone: (49) 89 92699-139