[comp.windows.ms] Usher menus are NOT slow.

shap@bunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) (01/19/91)

I do not remember who started the discussion about the cascading menus
in Usher being slow, but they are not... Windows is introducing that
delay intentionally.

The confusion arises because Usher is a "HOLD DOWN THE LEFT BUTTON"
utility.  this causes people to continue to hold the button even after
the menu is selected.  In this case, windows WAITS about a second and
then draws the sub menu.  POWERPOINT displays this, as does the system
menu for the DOS box.  Experiment to see for yourself.  The fact that not
too many programs use the nested menu technique probably adds to the confusion.

If you highlight the menu and then LET GO the menu comes up right
away.

----

And now the suggestion, unrelated to menus -- the Run... dialogue box
will allow you to change the file spec from *.EXE to say, *.DOC.  Of
course, there is an association between .DOC files and WINWORD.EXE, but
if you RUN... x.doc, it generates an application error or an integrity
violation or some such.  How bout if you check the associations and
launch the application with the file name as an argument?
--
__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__
Joe Shapiro					"My other car is a turbo...

dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu (zhou) (01/19/91)

In article <17074@bunker.UUCP> shap@clunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) writes:

>I do not remember who started the discussion about the cascading menus
>in Usher being slow, but they are not... Windows is introducing that
>delay intentionally.
>
>The confusion arises because Usher is a "HOLD DOWN THE LEFT BUTTON"

	I don't assume you have a habit of saying things before you under-
	stand the facts first.
	You are talking something entirely irrelevent! Suppose you bring
	up Usher and point to a submenu item and cause a submenu display,
	then if you draw the pointer to the next submenu of the main menu
	you'll have to wait (usually) several seconds before the old submenu
	closes and the new
	submenu gets displayed to the side. Since when  one passes the
	pointer to the desired menu the first menu landed on is not usually
	the wanted, and it gets displayed and thus causes delay.
	The "Hold down the left button" manner is very good (fast). I
	like it very much. The SUN machines here we use all have such menus.

	As to the "slow menu" problem, the author has explained that it's
	something of windows. I hope he didn't understand me as you did.
	Otherwise I should expect him to look into the matter. I think many
	people offen cruise among the menus before letting go (I at least)
	So it can a nuisance in the long run.

shap@bunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) (01/22/91)

]
] 	I don't assume you have a habit of saying things before you under-
] 	stand the facts first.

I can't tell if this is a flame or not...  :-|

[...]

---

Windows is not a SUN.  If one writes a Windows utility, one should to
conform to windows standards.  All programs which use windows standard
pop-up menus (this is the term used in the SDK, I find it unfortunate)
will exhibit this behavior.  Any program that forces different behavior
onto such a menu will ultimately cause confusion compared to "standard"
programs.

I did offer a clue as to the "standard" way for the user to avoid the
delay, which I will now repeat -- after the first sub-menu comes up,
LET GO OF THE BUTTON.  After that you can click on other sub-menus to
bring them up immediately.  If you do this, you will observe that the
menus are plenty fast.

The fact that you have to hold down the button to keep USHER up makes
it less than natural to let go of the button after the first sub-menu
is up.

As an aside, I do not wish to defend the delay imposed by windows.  I
think that in the whole, there would not be any great waste of CPU to
bring up the menus immediately.  Maybe this is a hold-over from 8086
days, who knows.  I meerly meant to point out that the USHER program
was not imposing the behavior, but inheriting it from windows.

so... even though I don't like the delay either, I think it would be
a mistake to try to "fix" it.

I hope that I have clarified my previous posting, and I hope it is now
clear that I did, and do, understand the facts.
--
__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__--__
Joe Shapiro					"My other car is a turbo...
ISC-Bunker Ramo     				 ...too."
{decvax,yale,philabs,oliveb}!bunker!shap

davidds@microsoft.UUCP (David D'SOUZA) (01/28/91)

<Comments about popup menus being slow to appear belong here>

I think this was documented in the winini.txt readme on you Win3 disks
but I could be mistaken...

In your win.ini file,
in the [windows] section, you can add the following line

; Delay before showing the hierarchical menu. Defaulted to 400
MenuShowDelay=0

; Delay before hiding the hierarchical menu. Defaulted to 100, (I think)
MenuHideDelay=0

This should speed up the appearance of your popup menus.  On 286
machines, a longer delay is desireable, on 386, people are happy with
no delay.

Enjoy.

-Dave