[comp.windows.ms] aadvantages of QEMM?

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (01/25/91)

I heard that the latest version of QEMM supports Windows. What sort of
advantages do I have using QEMM (other than obvious increase in conventional
memory, which I certainly like to have). Does it work well with Windows
and Smartdrv (I need this)? Is it worth the investment?

6600wise@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike Schmitt) (01/25/91)

In article <wbbmptG00VpM429Vps@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:

>I heard that the latest version of QEMM supports Windows. What sort of
>advantages do I have using QEMM (other than obvious increase in conventional
>memory, which I certainly like to have). Does it work well with Windows
>and Smartdrv (I need this)? Is it worth the investment?

QEMM's primary advantage on 386 machines (it does require a 386) is
to load drivers and other such things into high memory, giving you
more room in any type of DOS program.  It's especially nice when
you're using a network or other large-driver type of device.

However, in order to do it, it grabs about 800K of your memory once
you count in all of the things it does.

Works great with SMARTDRV.SYS and Windows in all modes.

Mike
6600wise@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

ron@sequoia.execu.com (Ron Ponder) (01/25/91)

In article <wbbmptG00VpM429Vps@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>I heard that the latest version of QEMM supports Windows. What sort of
>advantages do I have using QEMM (other than obvious increase in conventional
>memory, which I certainly like to have). Does it work well with Windows
>and Smartdrv (I need this)? Is it worth the investment?

How about this from a DOS.PIF with parameters /e:1024...

655360 bytes total conventional memory
655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
619312 largest executable program size

And I have the following devices in my CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS RAM
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=1
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS /X
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 C:\SYS\MOUSE.SYS /Y
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.SYS 256 256
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 C:\DOS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 2048 512 /e
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 C:\SYS\AUX2MDA.SYS
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\ /P /E:512

...followed by a couple of items in my AUTOEXEC.BAT...

C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:1 C:\QEMM\LASTDRIVE = G
C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:1 C:\QEMM\FILES +20
C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:1 F:\UTIL\DOSEDIT

 Thanx,
|   Ron Ponder					Execucom Systems Corp. |
|   Software Engineer                              108 Wild Basin Road |
|   Vantage Point Development                           Two Wild Basin |
|   (512) 327-7070 x 2155                            Austin, TX  78746 |
|   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!ron      |  Speak the Truth,         |
|   Internet: ron@execu.com                |     then leave quickly!   |
|             execu!ron@cs.utexas.edu      |                           |
|             ron%execu.uucp@cs.utexas.edu |                           |

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) (01/26/91)

In responst to a post by hp0p+@andrew.emu.edu (Hokkun Pang):

QEMM 5.11 will now indeed work with Windows 3.0.

Apart from freeing up a LOT of vital memory from the DOS prompt (up to 605k),
it will give you REAL LIM4.0EMS support, which Windows does NOT.  In fact,
I have yet to find a program which works with the EMS Windows Supplies.

QEMM does _SEEM_ to slow down the system a little, but I have noticed no
performance drops in actual runtime.

In all, if you can get it working with Windows, then it is well worth the
effort.  It would probably be a good idea though to try to get DOS 5.0
first.

As for Disk caches, QEMM will load SMARTDRV.SYS Into HIgh Memory, but will
NOT load HYPERDISK into the HMA, which is kinda a burn on those who use
that caching program.

Hope that helps some!

storm@cs.mcgill.ca
Marc Wandschneider

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (01/27/91)

6600wise@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>QEMM's primary advantage on 386 machines (it does require a 386) is
>to load drivers and other such things into high memory, giving you
>However, in order to do it, it grabs about 800K of your memory once
>you count in all of the things it does.

This is slander: on my system (386-33, VLSI 82c102 chipset), QEMM 5.11
has overhead of exactly 164 Kb, most of which is used for shadowing
ROM BIOS and the VGA ROM.  The memory actually lost to QEMM internals
is around 32 Kb.

--richard

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan25.192554.17866@cs.mcgill.ca> storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) writes:
<
<As for Disk caches, QEMM will load SMARTDRV.SYS Into HIgh Memory, but will
<NOT load HYPERDISK into the HMA, which is kinda a burn on those who use
<that caching program.

QEMM has no problem loading HYPERDISK into high memory (use the shadowram
option of hyperdisk or whatever they called it).  I've not tried to load
hyperdsk (or any other tsr/drive) into the HMA, because DesqView and Windows
both like to have the HMA reserved for their own purposes.  No need to anyway,
with oodles of available "high memory" space.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |