[comp.windows.ms] ATM and HP laserjets

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (01/24/91)

In article <402@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> abulka@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Andrew Bulka) writes:
>I have a IIP + HP postscript cartridge, and the startup page
>mentions that the cartridge uses ATM Type Rendering Technology.
>The HP III apparently does NOT have this feature.
>
>How can the IIP have ATM without the corresponding
>   Windows 3 ATM software running in some way?
>   What benefits does the printer's resident ATM technology
>   achieve?  Why doesn't the HP III have it?

I'm sure that the ATM TRT referred to is not in the IIP itself, but rather
in the PS cartridge.  The ATM font creation is superior to the original PS
method, so newer PS interpreters use it.  I would expect HP's PS cartridge
for the III to use it as well.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (01/28/91)

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:

>In article <402@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> abulka@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Andrew Bulka) writes:
>>I have a IIP + HP postscript cartridge, and the startup page
>>mentions that the cartridge uses ATM Type Rendering Technology.
>>The HP III apparently does NOT have this feature.
>>
>>How can the IIP have ATM without the corresponding
>>   Windows 3 ATM software running in some way?
>>   What benefits does the printer's resident ATM technology
>>   achieve?  Why doesn't the HP III have it?
>
>I'm sure that the ATM TRT referred to is not in the IIP itself, but rather
>in the PS cartridge.  The ATM font creation is superior to the original PS
>method, so newer PS interpreters use it.  I would expect HP's PS cartridge
>for the III to use it as well.

HP's idea in the III is that you don't NEED PostScript!  The III comes
with HP PCL5, which provides scalable fonts built in, just like with
PostScript.  So since you already have a builtin scalable font capability,
why (asks HP, of course) would you worry about PostScript?  If you've read
any of the reviews of PCL5, they've been excellent, and it is being touted
as being at least as good as PostScript.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan27.192508.19247@mrspoc.Transact.COM> itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) writes:
>HP's idea in the III is that you don't NEED PostScript!  The III comes
>with HP PCL5, which provides scalable fonts built in, just like with
>PostScript.  So since you already have a builtin scalable font capability,
>why (asks HP, of course) would you worry about PostScript?  If you've read
>any of the reviews of PCL5, they've been excellent, and it is being touted
>as being at least as good as PostScript.

Perhaps, but there are a lot of applications out there (take Corel Draw,
for example) that produce their best output on PS printers; thus the HP
PostScript cartridge for the LJ3.  I'm sure that the cartridge contains
Adobe's font rendering technology, since writing a converter from Type 1 to
Intellifont would most likely be more trouble than it's worth.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu