[comp.windows.ms] OS 90

tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) (01/29/91)

Has anyone out there heard of the operating system OS 90?  If so, when is the
release date and the estimated price?  (This is not to be confused with OS9,
which is a 6800/68000 operating system based on Unix.)  OS 90 has a lot of nice
features, such as DOS compatibility, the ability to let you use filenames >8
characters, the ability to allow the user to select one of four graphical
interface styles (Motif, Open Look, Deskmate [Tandy], and one other); it has
the advantages of OS2 without the memory hogging features.  I saw it reviewed
in some PC journal along with DR DOS, which is an MS DOS replacement.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Robert P. Poole                       tarquin@athena.mit.edu
46 Massachusetts Avenue               MIT Course VIII

pkraus@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Pamela Joy Kraus) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.022714.16097@athena.mit.edu> tarquin@athena.mit.edu (Robert P Poole) writes:

>Has anyone out there heard of the operating system OS 90?  If so, when is the
>--
>Robert P. Poole                       tarquin@athena.mit.edu

OS90 was the pre-release name of Geoworks Ensemble. Geoworks is the company
which used to be Berkeley Softworks, which accomplished similar miracles with
their GEOS OS for the C-64. It is very cool! I was impressed with the power of
the imaging model (full PostScript-like power, outline fonts, etc). And
performance was pretty good too.