[comp.windows.ms] Win.ini Full and Mem Upgrade results

altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (01/29/91)

WEll, now that we have all of these thousands (slight exageration)
of ATM fonts I have run out of space in my Win.ini file.
After installing 79 fonts, the SysEdit app would no longer
accept characters as input.  thought it was just a restriction
of SysEdit, however, I was wrong.  As it turns out, if I continue
to enter text with Write or WPEdit, etc., what ends up happening
is that UAEs are created by programs that must read the file.
I guess the Win.ini must be limited by some Windows restriction.

Now I understand why Corel moved :-) all of their stuff into a
Coreldrw.ini file.

On another subject, I just installed a new 4Mbyte SIMM onto the
motherbourd of my 55sx.  Previously I had 2 megs on the mother-
board and 2 megs on a CEC memory expansion board.  The additional
4 megs (bringing the total to 8 megs) generated a significant
increase in performance (decrease in response time).  I can no
longer see the Windows being copies to the swap disk when closed.
Mouse is more responsive.  SI responds wildly with highs above
180.  Expansion board memory does slow down Windows.

Also, to whoever posted the WFN2ATM.ZIP and WFNSPACE.ZIP files:
what is the source of the files?  Are they from Corel or Adobe
or some other source?  Have Corel and Adobe been told if they
are not the source?

thanks.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)
--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan29.043217.1014@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:

>WEll, now that we have all of these thousands (slight exageration)
>of ATM fonts I have run out of space in my Win.ini file.
>After installing 79 fonts, the SysEdit app would no longer
>accept characters as input.  thought it was just a restriction
>of SysEdit, however, I was wrong.  As it turns out, if I continue
>to enter text with Write or WPEdit, etc., what ends up happening
>is that UAEs are created by programs that must read the file.
>I guess the Win.ini must be limited by some Windows restriction.
>
>- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

This doesn't seem possible. I currently have 96 softfonts in my WIN.INI
file. This number includes Adobe Type 1 (Version 1, 2, & 3), Bitstream
Fontware, Bitstream Speedo, and converted Corel WFN fonts. They are also
listed in the ATM.INI file. You might want to try placing all of the
fonts that you want to add in a temp directory and using the ATM program
to install them.

Clancy Malloy
att!ihlpf!cem

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.125153.9821@cbnewsc.att.com> freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) writes:
>In article <1991Jan29.043217.1014@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>>
>>WEll, now that we have all of these thousands (slight exageration)
>>of ATM fonts I have run out of space in my Win.ini file.
>>After installing 79 fonts, the SysEdit app would no longer
>>accept characters as input.  thought it was just a restriction
>>of SysEdit, however, I was wrong.  As it turns out, if I continue
>>to enter text with Write or WPEdit, etc., what ends up happening
>>is that UAEs are created by programs that must read the file.
>>I guess the Win.ini must be limited by some Windows restriction.
>>
>>- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)
>
>This doesn't seem possible. I currently have 96 softfonts in my WIN.INI
>file. This number includes Adobe Type 1 (Version 1, 2, & 3), Bitstream
>Fontware, Bitstream Speedo, and converted Corel WFN fonts. They are also
>listed in the ATM.INI file. You might want to try placing all of the
>fonts that you want to add in a temp directory and using the ATM program
>to install them.
>
>Clancy Malloy
>att!ihlpf!ce

Sure its possible.  Keep in mind that the fonts aren't the only
thing that I have in the Win.ini.  There are also the hundred or
so other Windows utilities that keep things there.  Plus I have two
PostScript printers (one mono, one color) and each one must get the
entire font list.  Also, the fonts were added with ATM.  Its when
I add the path for the softfont downloading that the keyboard input
halts.

There is a limit.  I just don't understand why. If you don't believe
make a copy of your win.ini, and then copy it and repaste it a few
times.

nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) (01/30/91)

>>I guess the Win.ini must be limited by some Windows restriction.

I am curious.  How large is your WIN.INI (in bytes) ?

I think that Windows keeps an internal database of the entries
in your WIN.INI.  This helps prevent windows from having to read
the WIN.INI file everytime an application needs information from
it.  I would imagine that there is some limit here that you are
running into.  perhaps 32K or 64K?

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.sbi.com>