[comp.windows.ms] difference between smartdrv.sys?

scotts@cpqhou.uucp (Scott Shaffer @ Compaq Computer Corp.) (01/28/91)

in article <obccoja00VAC8CyIBk@andrew.cmu.edu>, hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) says:

> what is the difference between the smartdrv.sys from Windows and the one from
> MS-DOS 4.01? Someone claimed the one from DOS gives better performance, is that
> true?

I would be very surprised to find out this is true.  Because, the Win3
SMARTDRV.SYS has been designed with several new features that the old one
didn' have (like the ability to re-size the cache at run-time) that Win3
can exploit.  I'd use the Win3 version for use with Win3.  As for performance
outside Win3?  Who knows...

--
+ Scott Shaffer @ SW Development @ Compaq Computer Corporation @ Houston, TX +
+ scotts@cpqhou.UUCP + "Flee to me remote elf!"

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (01/30/91)

(Hokkun Pang) writes:
>what is the difference between the smartdrv.sys from Windows and the one from
>MS-DOS 4.01? Someone claimed the one from DOS gives better performance,is that
>true?

Interestingly enough, it is true.  After reading the post (sorry don't remember
who posted it so I can't credit you) I went home and tried it.  I got about a
20% better transfer rate using the DOS 4.01 version.  One thing I noticed is
that the DOS 4.01 version cache size is not dynamic, it is of fixed size.  The
one that comes with windows will change size if the memory is needed by
Windows.  Another thing worth noting.  I am running DOS 3.30 but the DOS 4.01
SMARTDRV.SYS works with 3.30 despite that fact that when I ran the 'strings'
filter on SMARTDRV.SYS, I uncovered an error message saying "Incorrect DOS
version"?????

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
:  schwalbe@encore.com    `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :

altman@sbgrad7.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (01/31/91)

If you are going to try to measure performance difference
between Smartdrv.sys versions make sure that you do so
when (1) either not in Windows; or (2) when the dynamic
version has the same minimum and maximum values.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)