[comp.windows.ms] Can I Eliminate the Opening *Windows* screen?

userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) (01/29/91)

Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
screen at the beginning of a Windows session?
                  Thanks,
                  Wes Cooper

sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) (01/30/91)

In article <RN.94@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) writes:
>Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
>WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
>screen at the beginning of a Windows session?
>                  Thanks,
>                  Wes Cooper

Yeah, you need to get your hands on a Hex editor and look through the "win.com"
file for the word "LOGO". when you find it, replace one of the characters with
something else. (ie: change the "L" to a "Z" or somethin'. Windows won't be
able to find "ZOGO", so it'll bypass that part and start you off in the
desktop.
	      rob@cad4.lbl.gov

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (01/30/91)

In article <9361@dog.ee.lbl.gov> sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) writes:
>In article <RN.94@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) writes:
>>Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
>>WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
>>screen at the beginning of a Windows session?
>>                  Thanks,
>>                  Wes Cooper
>
>Yeah, you need to get your hands on a Hex editor and look through the "win.com"
>file for the word "LOGO". when you find it, replace one of the characters with
>something else. (ie: change the "L" to a "Z" or somethin'. Windows won't be
>able to find "ZOGO", so it'll bypass that part and start you off in the
>desktop.
>	      rob@cad4.lbl.gov

Or you could just type "win :".  That will do it.

|Brian Hoffman								|
|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
|Quote: "Here comes the quiet life, again" -- Japan                     |

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (01/30/91)

By far the nicest approach is to set the startup to something YOU want using
tools like PaintBrush (provided with Windows) and WINGIF (shareware). Make
a new vgalogo.rle (make as BMP and convert to RLE) then load a different video
driver (eg VGAMONO) then the proper driver (VGA) and it remakes WIN.COM to
include the new logo.

tj

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (01/30/91)

To start windows without the opening Microsoft logo screen, simply type
win :

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (01/31/91)

In article <RN.94@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) writes:
<Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
<WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
<screen at the beginning of a Windows session?

Yeah.. end the WIN line with a colon, as in:

	WIN :

--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz ) (01/31/91)

In article <RN.94@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) writes:
>Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
>WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
>screen at the beginning of a Windows session?

				win :

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (01/31/91)

In your System directory there is a file which is called WIN.CNF

rename your current WIN.COM file to something like WIN_OLD.COM
and then copy the WIN.CNF file from the system directory to WIN.COM
in the WINDOWS directory.

This will allow you to not have an opening screen.  The opening
screen is added to the WIN.CNF file via a binary copy during the
Setup process.  This allows the proper Startup screen (*.RLE) from
the system directory to be added for the video board which you
have.

You can also use this method to add any small RLE4 formatted file
with the proper resolution (no more than 16 color) to use as a
startup screen.  I believe the limit is about 55k for the startup
screen file.

COPY WIN.CNF /B + startup.rle /B WIN.COM

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (01/31/91)

>COPY WIN.CNF /B + startup.rle /B WIN.COM

This should actually be :

COPY WIN.CNF /B + [ev]galogo.lgo /B + startup.rle /B WIN.COM

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

gkrone@pcserver2.naitc.com (Gary Krone) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan30.020155.16281@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:
>In article <9361@dog.ee.lbl.gov> sisu@ux1.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) writes:
>>In article <RN.94@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) writes:
>>>Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
>>>WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
>>>screen at the beginning of a Windows session?
>>>                  Thanks,
>>>                  Wes Cooper
>>
>>Yeah, you need to get your hands on a Hex editor and look through the "win.com"
>>file for the word "LOGO". when you find it, replace one of the characters with
>>something else. (ie: change the "L" to a "Z" or somethin'. Windows won't be
>>able to find "ZOGO", so it'll bypass that part and start you off in the
>>desktop.
>>	      rob@cad4.lbl.gov
>

>Or you could just type "win :".  That will do it.
>

>|Brian Hoffman								|
>|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
>|Quote: "Here comes the quiet life, again" -- Japan                     |

I tried the colon trick and ran into some memory problems.  Restarting
without the colon cleared them up.

Gary Krone
gkrone@bbs.naitc.com

richards@la.excelan.com (Richard Schneider) (02/01/91)

In article <RN.94@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userCOOP@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Wes Cooper) writes:
>Is there something I can do, perhaps to my
>WIN.INI file, to eliminate the *WINDOWS*
>screen at the beginning of a Windows session?
>                  Thanks,
>                  Wes Cooper

I have created a start up bat file that does this for me.
I call it win.bat.
It looks like the following:

    @echo off
    win :