[comp.windows.ms] Icon Management

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (01/30/91)

In <19579@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:

|G'Day,
|
|	I have managed to collect over 2200 icons now and it poses a bit of a
|problem.  All of the .ICO files are quite small and hence waste a fair bit of
|disk space.  That is not my major problem though.  Because of the small size it
|increases my backup times by a lot because the tape has to stop/start quite a
|bit instead of streaming.  What used to take 5 minutes now takes just over 2
|hours just with the addition of 1.5MB or so of icons!
|
|	I have seen .EXE files that contain a lot of icons too so what I am
|after is some sort of program that can assemble all of my .ICO files into a
|single or at least a few .EXE files.
|
|	Anybody got any ideas??
|
|David.

You could ZIP or ARC them together into one big file.  I keep all my spare
icons in a ZIP file and unZIP them as needed.

Chuck, WB4UIH

--
Chuck H. Chapman  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 528-7168
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!cchapman

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (01/30/91)

G'Day,

	I have managed to collect over 2200 icons now and it poses a bit of a
problem.  All of the .ICO files are quite small and hence waste a fair bit of
disk space.  That is not my major problem though.  Because of the small size it
increases my backup times by a lot because the tape has to stop/start quite a
bit instead of streaming.  What used to take 5 minutes now takes just over 2
hours just with the addition of 1.5MB or so of icons!

	I have seen .EXE files that contain a lot of icons too so what I am
after is some sort of program that can assemble all of my .ICO files into a
single or at least a few .EXE files.

	Anybody got any ideas??

David.

| David Wales (VK2KWD) Sydney, Australia | Internet: wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com |
|                                        | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"     | UUCP:   decwrl!lrcsnl.enet!wales    |
|                                        |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and       | Voice:  (61) 2 561-7334 (Work)      |
|  mine only!                            | FAX:    (61) 2 561-7441             |

JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) (01/31/91)

>In <19579@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
>       I have managed to collect over 2200 icons now and it poses a bit of a
>problem.  All of the .ICO files are quite small and hence waste a fair bit of
>disk space...                                                                 t

Remember that original  icon file is not needed after  the application is
defined. I would  suggest copying your icons to floppy  disks, grouped by
subject. Or PKZIPping them into ZIP files, again by subject matter.
---
Jim McIntosh (jim@auvm.auvm.edu)
The American University
Washington DC 20016-8019 USA

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (01/31/91)

In article <19579@shlump.nac.dec.com> wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) writes:
> I have managed to collect over 2200 icons now and it poses a bit of a
> problem. All of the .ICO files are quite small and hence waste a fair
> bit of disk space. That is not my major problem though. Because of the
> small size it increases my backup times by a lot because the tape has
> to stop/start quite a bit instead of streaming. What used to take 5
> minutes now takes just over 2 hours just with the addition of 1.5MB or
> so of icons!
>
> I have seen .EXE files that contain a lot of icons too so what I am
> after is some sort of program that can assemble all of my .ICO files
> into a single or at least a few .EXE files.
>
>	Anybody got any ideas??

Check out hDCs Icon Manager. It will let you create groups with multiple
icons in each file. I have created files with as many as 75 icons in each.
I don't know the maximum number that can be placed in each file, but 75
different icons in a file takes a while to "Next Icon" through. The program
costs under $40(US).

2200 Icons? Why?

Clancy Malloy
att!ihlpf!cem

wales@lrcsnl.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (02/01/91)

JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) writes...

>Remember that original  icon file is not needed after  the application is
>defined. I would  suggest copying your icons to floppy  disks, grouped by
>subject. Or PKZIPping them into ZIP files, again by subject matter.

I didn't know that!  What you are saying is that when you define the group
entry and tell it which icon you want to use it goes off and reads it and then
stores it someplace else allowing me to delete the .ICO file or zip them.
ZIPing is the obvious answer either by subject or alphabetically.  As long as I
get decent size .ZIPs that don't slow my tape drive down I don't really care
how they're stored.

Thanks for the clue!