	From agee@xx.colorado.edu Sun Jan 20 17:39:09 1991
	Date: Sun, 20 Jan 91 15:39:03 -0700
	From: Keith Agee <agee@xx.colorado.edu>
	To: mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu
	Subject: Screen Peace

	I am writing for Anthony Andersen, the author of Screen Peace.
	Several months ago Screen Peace was removed from the Shareware
	"market" due to the release of the commercial version,
	Intermission. It would be appreciated if you could remove it
	from you ftp site also.  If you have any other questions,
	please feel free to e-mail me at agee@anchor.colorado.edu.

	Keith Agee
	agee@anchor.colorado.edu

[Note: The version of ScreenPeace at cica is 1.4, the "Charity Ware"
version that allows freedom of copying and sharing.]

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/22/91)

> [Note: The version of ScreenPeace at cica is 1.4, the "Charity Ware"
> version that allows freedom of copying and sharing.]
>
> --
> michael regoli
> mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu
> regoli@iubacs.bitnet
> ...rutgers!iuvax!cica!mr

I just checked; only Screen Peace 1.2 was there, in the util directory.
could some kind sould please forward 1.4 to me?

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (01/22/91)

In <20020@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

>> [Note: The version of ScreenPeace at cica is 1.4, the "Charity Ware"
>> version that allows freedom of copying and sharing.]
>>

>I just checked; only Screen Peace 1.2 was there, in the util directory.
>could some kind sould please forward 1.4 to me?

My mistake.  The version here is 1.2.

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) (01/22/91)

> 	From agee@xx.colorado.edu Sun Jan 20 17:39:09 1991
> 	To: mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu
> 	Subject: Screen Peace
>
> 	I am writing for Anthony Andersen, the author of Screen Peace.
> 	Several months ago Screen Peace was removed from the Shareware
> 	"market" due to the release of the commercial version,
> 	Intermission. It would be appreciated if you could remove it
> 	from you ftp site also.  If you have any other questions,
> 	please feel free to e-mail me at agee@anchor.colorado.edu.
>
> 	Keith Agee
> 	agee@anchor.colorado.edu
>
> [Note: The version of ScreenPeace at cica is 1.4, the "Charity Ware"
> version that allows freedom of copying and sharing.]

I would tend to believe you are under no REQUIREMENT to delete the
program, unless the original package you actually uploaded stated the
authors reserved the ability to distribute to expire.  If you do delete
it, it will get "bootlegged", which is to archived elsewhere.  Whether
you follow the author's wishes is up to you.

I have no interest in ScreenPeace per se, I personally use IdleWild
because it was part of the WEP I got for Christmas.

Moral: Learn to write contracts before giving software away.

-ahd-

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (01/23/91)

In article <12130.279a072f@ecs.umass.edu> daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:
>On the whole, the request does not fit well with the whole idea behind its
>charity-ware origins (and its name, presumably derived from Greenpeace).

Not to argue the issue one way or the other, but the name derived from
Greenpeace?  Ever saw the icon of Screenpeace? Ever heard of Peace and Love?
Greenpeace... give me a break.

Tony

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (01/24/91)

In article <9947@cica.cica.indiana.edu> mr@cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>][
>
>I just received this note, and I'm not certain how to handle it.
>Perhaps I could get some input from the collective group.

>[Note: The version of ScreenPeace at cica is 1.4, the "Charity Ware"
>version that allows freedom of copying and sharing.]

I'm sure the people who put out Procomm Plus (Data Storm?) probably did the
same thing.  I would guess that they can't force you to remove it, as there
are copies of PC+ on most PC-BBS's.

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				      mra%srchtec@salestech.com

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (01/25/91)

In article <2637@excelan.COM>, tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:
> In article <12130.279a072f@ecs.umass.edu> daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:
>>On the whole, the request does not fit well with the whole idea behind its
>>charity-ware origins (and its name, presumably derived from Greenpeace).
>
> Not to argue the issue one way or the other, but the name derived from
> Greenpeace?  Ever saw the icon of Screenpeace? Ever heard of Peace and Love?
> Greenpeace... give me a break.

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Tony

Whoa.  Give ME a break.  Take it easy, and check your facts before you flame.

This is quoted from the screenpeace.doc file included in screenpeace:

	"Screen Peace is CharityWare...<stuff deleted>...ALL
	PROFITS...WILL GO TO GREEN PEACE, IN MY OPINION A
	VERY WORTHY CAUSE"
				-Anthony Andersen, author of Screen Peace

And why don't YOU look at the icon, too: a GREEN colored PEACE symbol.

Please think first before you criticize others next time, please

Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (02/01/91)

>Not to argue the issue one way or the other, but the name derived from
>Greenpeace?  Ever saw the icon of Screenpeace? Ever heard of Peace and Love?
>Greenpeace... give me a break.

Well, the icon IS green, after all....

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !