[comp.windows.ms] Object oriented alliance rumors

ernest@dsg.tandem.com (Ernest Hua) (01/28/91)

I heard some weeks back that Microsoft is cooking up some deal with several
software vendors to put together a fully object oriented environment standard
that will permit software to accept future data types and enhancements without
prior knowledge of their nature.  This is, of course, the one of the basic
ideas behind object oriented systems, but my question is ...

1.  What exactly is Microsoft creating in this "standard"?

2.  Is it an extension to Windows?

3.  How far have they progressed in developing the standards and gaining the
    acceptances?

4.  Is there some similar effort (by anyone) in X Windows?

Obviously, a lot of software houses will be very excited by strong acceptance
of this concept in Windows (or, for that matter, ANY environment).

Ernest Hua, Tandem Computers, Inc, Cupertino, CA  [ ernest@tandem.com ]

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (01/31/91)

ernest@dsg.tandem.com (Ernest Hua) writes:

>I heard some weeks back that Microsoft is cooking up some deal with several
>software vendors to put together a fully object oriented environment standard
>that will permit software to accept future data types and enhancements without
>prior knowledge of their nature.  This is, of course, the one of the basic
>ideas behind object oriented systems, but my question is ...
... things deleted.

I also here similar rumours from IBM for PM.

----------------------------
Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L
162 Burns Bay Rd,
LANE COVE , NSW, AUSTRALIA
objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (02/01/91)

The "Alliance" is already here.  What you are talking about is OLE (Object
Linking and Embedding).

OLE will be in windows version 3.1.  The DLL's that make it run under version
3.0 are available to ISV's and several major packages (Excel 3.0 and Powerpoint
and Lotus Notes) already include this technology.  The interface is quite
simple from the client side, for example it took me about 3hours of coding to
get a DLL that would support OLE for Ami Professional (Look for this in version
2.0).  It is still crude, but it works.

OLE is very complex, yet amazingly well thought out.  You can tell that other
people besides the gurus at M/soft, had a hand in it...

Hope this is a bit enlightening,
I will be glad to carry on in email if you want more information...

Jeff Watkins
Lotus Developement Word Processing Devision (by Day)
&
Convergent Media Systems (by Night)

--
Jeff Watkins                       jwatkins@cadsun7.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data