[comp.windows.ms] XGA and Windows/bus mastering under 286

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan30.045751.3520@disk.uucp>, rob@disk.uucp (Rob Miracle) writes:
> In article <1991Jan28.100703.4680@cc.helsinki.fi>, tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>> In article <1991Jan24.201315.647@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>> <...>
>> > First of all XGA is only a Micro Channel product.  It is
>> > Bus Mastering, ships in the standard configuration with
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>     I've heard that the XGA adapter requires a 386SX or better
>>     machine. Any idea why ?
>
> Simple, the XGA adapter is a BUS master microchannel card.  Bus mastering is
> only supported under 80386 processors.

    Well, let me quote the IBM Catalog of MicroChannel Adaptors
    on the IBM 16-bit SCSI bus master adapter:

    	"A 16-bit bus master adapter that provides expandability
    	 for all PS/2 computers with Micro Channel bus. ..."

    So it would seem that you can have bus mastering under 80286
    processors after all ;-)

    Teemu.
    --
                             _________