[comp.windows.ms] WFW BOOKS

reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kevin Reichard) (02/01/91)

rowland@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Fred Rowland) writes:

>I'm mad.  I recently installed MicroSoft's latest and greatest, consisting
>of Windows 3 and Word for Windows.  I was new to any form of Word, so I
>had a few questions, particularly with font management (now there's a weird
>area for you!).
>
>So I grabbed my trusty MicroSoft Word for Windows User's Reference.  The
>first thing I tried failed--I got no response when I typed the command.
>Well, shame on me for my lousy typing.  So I tried again, VERY carefully.
>Failed again.  Maybe a typo in the manual.  I gave up on that one.
>
>Tried another totally different subject.  This time the command, properly
>typed, produced an error message and hung the machine.  Very reproducible.
>I now know a sure fire way to hang the machine from inside Word for Windows.
>
>Tried another.  This had to do with printer setup and I suddenly realized
>that the terminology was for the old Windows (pre-3).  Got mad and stayed
>that way.
>
>Called MS and asked if there was a manual for WfW on Windows 3.  No.  Asked
>how they had the gall to advertise the hell out of a product that was
>really a do-it-yourself-if-you-can-figure-out-how kit.  Got mumbled at.
>
>Are there any books (obviously not from MS) about WfW on W3?
>

>Fred Rowland
>Hewlett-Packard, Avondale Site

Unfortunately, most of the W4W books (including those from Microsoft Press)
were written with WIN2.11/386 in mind. If you're patient, you can look for
(plug here) _Teach Yourself Word for Windows_ from MIS: Press
(Reichard/Johnson) in about a month. Drop me mail for more details.

--KR

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!reichard
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!reichard@nosc.mil
INET: reichard@pnet51.orb.mn.org