[comp.windows.ms] Problem with Windows message in real mode

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (01/24/91)

I have a DOS application (MicroEmacs) which I regularly run from
Windows. Before running it I want to run a small TSR which remaps some
of the keys. I do this by putting the two commands in a batch file and
running that:
	KBDUK2
	EMACS
This works fine in enhanced mode, but in real mode when I exit from
MicroEmacs I get a popup window which says:

     MICROSOFT WINDOWS POP-UP PROGRAM SUPPORT

     Your program has been loaded and you may activate it as you would
     normally. When you have finished using this pop-up program, exit it
     and press Ctrl+C to return to Windows.

I then have to press Ctrl/C to continue.

Is there any way to stop the message popping up? It's very confusing
for naive users, who don't know what it means or what to do.

Leila
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel:   +44 273 678390              Fax:   +44 273 678470

wbh@druwy.ATT.COM (Bill Hyde) (01/26/91)

In article <4297@syma.sussex.ac.uk> leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) writes:
| ... stuff about running a batch file with TSR at front deleted ...
|
|     MICROSOFT WINDOWS POP-UP PROGRAM SUPPORT
|
|     Your program has been loaded and you may activate it as you would
|     normally. When you have finished using this pop-up program, exit it
|     and press Ctrl+C to return to Windows.
|
|I then have to press Ctrl/C to continue.
|
|Is there any way to stop the message popping up? It's very confusing
|for naive users, who don't know what it means or what to do.

Yes, just remove the TSR before the batch file terminates.  Many TSRs
seem to have a built in remove (usually activated by an "OFF"
argument).  There are also programs available to 'mark' and 'release'
the memory used by TSRs.  I haven't tried the last method, but I would
assume that a sufficiently clever mark/release would work the way you
want.

--
-- Bill Hyde             | wbh@druwy.ATT.COM or att!drutx!wbh
-- AT&T Bell Labs Denver | (303) 538-4326 (I.S.COMM/CORNET 374-4326)

ferizs@neuro (Feri Zsuppan) (01/30/91)

In article <7350@drutx.ATT.COM> wbh@druwy.ATT.COM (Bill Hyde) writes:
>| ... stuff about running a batch file with TSR at front deleted ...
>|
>|     normally. When you have finished using this pop-up program, exit it
>|     and press Ctrl+C to return to Windows.
>|
>|I then have to press Ctrl/C to continue.
>|
>|Is there any way to stop the message popping up? It's very confusing
>|for naive users, who don't know what it means or what to do.
>
>Yes, just remove the TSR before the batch file terminates.  Many TSRs
  ......rest of it deleted.

That's not true! We happen to have a batch installing a TSR, running a program,
and removing the same TSR. It gives this quoted message above, which is indeed
very disturbing for some of our non-technical users.

Feri
+------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Feri Zsuppan Ph.D.           |  ferizs@neuro.duke.edu       (Internet) |
| Dept of Neurobiology         |                                         |
| Box 3209                     |  919/684-4552                (voice)    |

wbh@druwy.ATT.COM (Bill Hyde) (02/02/91)

In article <21934@duke.cs.duke.edu> ferizs@neuro.duke.edu (Feri Zsuppan) writes:
|In article <7350@drutx.ATT.COM> wbh@druwy.ATT.COM (Bill Hyde) writes:
|>| ... stuff about running a batch file with TSR at front deleted ...
|>|
|>|     normally. When you have finished using this pop-up program, exit it
|>|     and press Ctrl+C to return to Windows.
|>|
|>|I then have to press Ctrl/C to continue.
|>|
|>|Is there any way to stop the message popping up? It's very confusing
|>|for naive users, who don't know what it means or what to do.
|>
|>Yes, just remove the TSR before the batch file terminates.  Many TSRs
|  ......rest of it deleted.
|
|That's not true! We happen to have a batch installing a TSR, running a program,
|and removing the same TSR. It gives this quoted message above, which is indeed
|very disturbing for some of our non-technical users.

Hmmmm.  Very interesting.  I was thinking about this the other night
when I noticed that I had loaded pop-cal before quicken and not
removed it and still didn't get the message!  Must be something else
that tips windows off about the TSR.  Perhaps it's the keys it uses or
the PIF or the machine type or the windows mode.  Sorry I misled you.

Bill