[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT/NET; it's great!

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (01/21/91)

I looked at the docs for winqvtnet but didn't try the program. It seemed
to lack a way to change key bindings like the current versions of
Kermit for the PC and NCSA Telnet. Is this true or did I miss
something while RTFM?  This feature is necessary for my uses.

Doug McDonald

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (02/01/91)

>Well winqvtnet looks good but it is somewhat brain dead; it will not work
>on a network using gateways and routers.  Look at the following:

Well, we can get it to work here, and this is our setup. We
set the CISCO to gateway=1. The nameservers are other machines
on the .1.x network. I am able to see both vaxes (and a huge
number of other mainframes on the .1.x subnet, including Suns
and IBM 3090s), and can even FTP to/from other PCs on other
subnets.

       vax (129.79.1.15)--|---vax (129.79.1.2)

               | CISCO gateway 129.79.110.254 |

                          |- mypc 129.79.110.145
                          |- lots of other PCs (129.79.110.x)

Incidentally, we did run into trouble once. One of our
other subnets seems to be using a packet type thats not
ethernet (type 0) or SLIP (type 6?). Will a new WinQVTNet
be coming out that supports other packet types?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

gerland@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (James R. Gerland) (02/01/91)

I can't get WinQVT/NET to work.  Here is my situation/problems:

I'm running Win 3.0 on a PS/2 Model 50 Z
I have the NCSA Telnet package Version 2.2TN
   which includes the 3c523 packet driver Version 7.1.2
                  Class 1 Type 13 Version 7 Extended 2
   which I start with the followin gline in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
   C:\NCSATN\3C523 -w 0X60 03 0X300 0XC000

My QVT_TCP.RC has the following information:

pc_ip=128.205.3.53
packet_vector=60

name=gerland
host=gerland.cc.buffalo.edu
host_ip=128.205.3.53

name=ubvmsb
host=ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
host_ip=128.205.2.3

name=ns
host=ns.buffalo.edu
host_ip=128.205.1.2
nameserver=1

name=comput1-gw1-3
host=comput1-gw1-3.buffalo.edu
host_ip=128.205.3.254
gateway=1

I'm using the PKTINT that came with WQVTNET Copyright 1990
   which I start with the followin gline in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
   C:\NCSATN\PKTINT

but when I click on QVTNET in Windows and the chose ubvmsb from the
Configuration Selection menu, after about 45 seconds I get a pop up window
with the following error in it:

Error -2: Unable to Open Session

Has anyone seen this problem?  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim...

pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/02/91)

In article <57356@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> gerland@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I can't get WinQVT/NET to work.  Here is my situation/problems:
>
>I'm running Win 3.0 on a PS/2 Model 50 Z
>I have the NCSA Telnet package Version 2.2TN
>   which includes the 3c523 packet driver Version 7.1.2
>                  Class 1 Type 13 Version 7 Extended 2
>   which I start with the followin gline in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
>   C:\NCSATN\3C523 -w 0X60 03 0X300 0XC000

>host=ns.buffalo.edu
>host_ip=128.205.1.2
>nameserver=1
>gateway=1

I had the same problem.  I had to understand the nameserver and gateway
settings.  I think I do now; it works now...

I had a default stanza; this was #1.  I then added a new stanza
for host_ip=130.70.40.4, host=gator.cacs.usl.edu blah, blah.
This is #2.  This is my gateway and nameserver.  So all of my other stanza's
have gateway=nameserver=2.

Hope this helps and its correct.
.
.

must

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (02/02/91)

In article <57356@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> gerland@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I can't get WinQVT/NET to work.  Here is my situation/problems:
>My QVT_TCP.RC has the following information:
>
>pc_ip=128.205.3.53
>packet_vector=60
>
>name=gerland
>host=gerland.cc.buffalo.edu
>host_ip=128.205.3.53

How can your pc & gerland have the same IP number w/o conflict? ... and if
your PC *is* gerland, then (I believe) you DO NOT want it defined in your
hosts section.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr