[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT 4.51 bug

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (02/02/91)

When I use WinQVT 4.51 to login to one of the Suns here, the following
sequence of events reproducibly results in WinQVT setting its text
colour to white, i.e. invisible:

    - run nn, the news reader
    - suspend nn with ^Z
    - resume nn with %1.

Apparently some sequence nn sends when it wakes up confuses winQVT.

Is this happening to others as well?

If the winQVT authors are listening, I can capture a hexdump of the
data sent by nn when it wakes up and send it to you.  Just drop me a
line.

--richard

I wrote:

>When I use WinQVT 4.51 to login to one of the Suns here, the following
>sequence of events reproducibly results in WinQVT setting its text
>colour to white, i.e. invisible:
>    - run nn, the news reader
>    - suspend nn with ^Z
>    - resume nn with %1.

My description of the problem as the text colour getting set to white
is probably misleading.  What happens is that incoming text is
invisible, but the cursor still moves around obeying positioning
commands.  Playing with WinQVT's settings for display colours has no
effect.  (In fact, none of WinQVT's settings help.)  However,
if I tell WinQVT to display incoming control characters rather than
execute them, *those* are visible, but ordinary text is still
invisible.

--richard