[comp.windows.ms] Maximum size of Font files

rick@trlamct.trl.oz.au (Rick Coxhill) (01/30/91)

Can anyone supply information about the maximum sizes of Windows font files?
The Microsoft support people tell me that for Windows 2 font format the
maximum size is 64K and for Windows 3 font format the maximum size is
unlimited.
The distributors of SoftType tell me that the maximum size of any format is
32K.
UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!trlamct.trl.oz!rick        Tel: 61 3 541 6249
ARPA:    rick%trlamct.trl.oz@uunet.uu.net          Fax: 61 3 541 8863
Rick Coxhill. Telecom Australia Research Labs. Clayton. Vic. Aust.

wbh@druwy.ATT.COM (Bill Hyde) (02/02/91)

In article <2641@trlluna.trl.oz> rick@trlamct.trl.oz.au (Rick Coxhill) writes:
|Can anyone supply information about the maximum sizes of Windows font files?
|The Microsoft support people tell me that for Windows 2 font format the
|maximum size is 64K and for Windows 3 font format the maximum size is
|unlimited.
|The distributors of SoftType tell me that the maximum size of any format is
|32K.

ZenoGraphics SuperPrint 1.1 prints out a warning that says something
like -- the font is over 64k, due to a bug in windows 3.0 it won't run
in enhanced mode, swich to standard mode.  The words aren't correct,
but that's the essence of the thought.  I presume that means the font
limit in "enhanced" mode is 64k and none (or at least larger) in
"standard" mode.

--
-- Bill Hyde             | wbh@druwy.ATT.COM or att!drutx!wbh
-- AT&T Bell Labs Denver | (303) 538-4326 (I.S.COMM/CORNET 374-4326)

rust@rust.home.demos.su (Roustem Akhiarov) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan29.213411.2641@trlluna.trl.oz> rick@trlamct.trl.oz.au (Rick Coxhill) writes:
> Can anyone supply information about the maximum sizes of Windows font files?
> The Microsoft support people tell me that for Windows 2 font format the
> maximum size is 64K and for Windows 3 font format the maximum size is
> unlimited.
> The distributors of SoftType tell me that the maximum size of any format is
> 32K.

Some display drivers use new format for fonts when running in protected mode.
This format allows for lager (>64K) fonts, as well as some other options.

Details on the new font file support may be found in Chapter 12, "Data
Structures and File Formats", and Chapter 13, "The Font File Format" of the
"Device Driver Adaptation Guide" in MS Windows DDK. Chapter 3, "Display
Drivers: New Features", also has a discussion on >64K fonts support.

--
Roustem Akhiarov                     |  Phone: +7 095 292 0306 (Office)
Internet: rust@hq.demos.su           |         +7 095 153 3408 (Home)