[comp.windows.ms] Win3, Netware, and swapfile

pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (02/03/91)

I put a shared version of win3 on the netware 2.15a server.  I logged
in from a client (I have good ipx and net3's) and ran setup/n.
The process put some files on my local D:\win3.  As long as
the shared netware directory is in my path, everything works fine.

But what about a swapfile? (I looked in the manual but...)  Is this meaningless
in a network environment.  I thought about either making one on the local disk
but when I win/r, run swapfile, I see a 'other applications running' error
message.  The only thing running is ipx, net3 and win3.!!?!?
  Does it make sense and is it possible to make a swapfile on the netware
server?

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

xjeldc@tts.lth.se (Jan Engvald) (02/03/91)

In article <24406@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>I put a shared version of win3 on the netware 2.15a server.  I logged
>in from a client (I have good ipx and net3's) and ran setup/n.
>The process put some files on my local D:\win3.  As long as
>the shared netware directory is in my path, everything works fine.
>
>But what about a swapfile? (I looked in the manual but...)  Is this meaningless
>in a network environment.  I thought about either making one on the local disk
>but when I win/r, run swapfile, I see a 'other applications running' error
>message.  The only thing running is ipx, net3 and win3.!!?!?
>  Does it make sense and is it possible to make a swapfile on the netware
>server?

Yes, it makes sense, use your hard disk for this. However, there is an
invisible application NWPOPUP.EXE that is always running when used in
a Novell network. Before calling the swapfile program you have to
disable broadcast in the network menu of the control panel. This is
not documented in the user manual, but is mentioned in one of the
document files (either in the windows package or in the dswin package).

Jan Engvald, Lund University Computing Center
   Address: Box 783                E-mail: Jan.Engvald@ldc.lu.se
            S-220 07 LUND     Earn/Bitnet: xjeldc@seldc52
            SWEDEN           (Span/Hepnet: Sweden::Gemini::xjeldc)
    Office: Soelvegatan 18         VAXPSI: psi%2403732202020::xjeldc
 Telephone: +46 46 107458          (X.400: C=se; A=TeDe; P=Sunet; O=lu;
   Telefax: +46 46 138225                  OU=ldc; S=Engvald; G=Jan)
     Telex: 33533 LUNIVER S