[comp.windows.ms] Gateway 2000 & DeskJet problem

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/04/91)

In article <11280@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>I can't seem to print from Windows 3.0 installed on a Gateway 2000 33MHz
>80386 connected to a HP DeskJet (the original model). I can print ok from
>DOS but Windows constantly reports that there is a printer problem and
>refuses to print anything.

After a good night's sleep, I attacked the problem again this morning. I
went through the Windows 3.0 troubleshooting section so I could
honestly tell the Gateway Tech I tried everything. [Remember throughout
this story that I could print to the DeskJet from the Gateway fine from DOS
and that I had used the same DeskJet and printer cable on my CompuAdd 10MHz
286 box with Windows 3.0 for a year now]. It seemed stupid to suspect my
parallel printer cable since it worked with DOS software and had been in
use with my 286 for years and with that hardware combo and Windows 3.0 for
years. But I figured it couldn't hurt to swap printer cables. So, I pulled
the cable off of my HP ThinkJet and turned on everything again. Guess what?
(insert red face here). I can now print fine from the Gateway running
Windows 3.0. It seems that the Gateway printer port and Windows 3.0 is much
more sensitive to printer cable tolerances. I'm not exactly sure what the
important variables are here. However, the cable that works is only 6 feet
long while the cable that didn't work is 10 feet long. That is the only
difference I can see. I guess I should grab a multimeter and check for
shorts or breaks in the other cable.

>Earlier, I posted a note saying that Excel 2.1C does not work in Windows
>3.0 on the Gateway 2000 33MHz 386. I am beginning to suspect that this
>particular Gateway is not Windows compatible. Has anyone else had problems
>with Windows 3.0 on Gateway computers?

I have another data point on this problem. I found that I can run Excel in
386Enh mode if I start Excel from the DOS prompt (which launches Windows
3.0 and then brings Excel up). However, Windows still locks up if I try to
run Excel by clicking on the icon. Go figure....

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd

philhowr@unix.cie.rpi.edu (Bob Philhower) (02/05/91)

In article <11280@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

>Earlier, I posted a note saying that Excel 2.1C does not work in Windows
>3.0 on the Gateway 2000 33MHz 386. I am beginning to suspect that this
>particular Gateway is not Windows compatible. Has anyone else had problems
>with Windows 3.0 on Gateway computers?

I recently received a 486/25 from Gateway 2000.  I have had some
intermittant problems with both Excel 3.0 and WordForWindows.  I have
gotten "Unknown Application Failure" (or something similar) messages
and have had the computer lockup or exit unceremoniously to the DOS
prompt.  I don't have a printer, but Windows (& DOS) have trouble
accessing my 5 1/4 " drive.

Robert Philhower		            (philhowr@unix.cie.rpi.edu)
Rensselaer Center for Integrated Electronics
CII 6111 / Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute / Troy, NY  12180 / USA