[comp.windows.ms] Ventura 3.0 and Adobe ATM

drp@buhub (Douglas Pokorny) (01/28/91)

I've got a problem which I hoping some of the fine Windows gurus of the
net can help answer, it is a rather involved query, so as all good dirty
jokes say "hit 'n' now if you don't want to read it".

Computer:

20Mhz 80386, with 4 megabytes of memory.  Dual hard drives one 40 megabyte
MFM drive and an 80 megabyte SCSI drive tethered to a Seagate ST-02
SCSI host adapter.

Software:

Ventura Publisher 3.0, Adboe Type Manager, and Bitstream Facelift.

When running Ventura 3.0 I normally use ATM and a handfull of fonts so
that my screen display is something a bit easier to read than the "System"
font stretched to huge dimensions.  Currently I am using the standard ATM
fonts, the Adobe Typeface package #1, and most of the fonts everyone
has found on cica.cica.indiana.edu.

Ventura 3.0 works fine with ATM in standard mode, however when switching
to 386-Enhanced mode the machine promptly responds with the ubiquitous
"Unrecoverable Application Error" dialog dumping me from ventura.

Here is where it gets odd; it I run both Facelift and Type Manager at
the same time Ventura Publisher works fine under 386-Enhanced mode.

While this may seem like a "solution" to the problem, I'd prefer not to
have to run two memory hogging programs which do the same thing
at the same time. (Facelift's fonts are nothing more than renamed,
"similar" typestyles when compared to Type Manger)

I could simply dump the Type Manger, and go completely Facelift but since
I now have about 80 fonts for the Type Manager I would prefer to stick
with it.

Any suggestions, comments, solutions?

(.sig under construction!)
drp@buhub.bradley.edu

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (02/05/91)

drp@buhub (Douglas Pokorny) writes:

>Computer:
>20Mhz 80386, with 4 megabytes of memory.  Dual hard drives one 40 megabyte
>MFM drive and an 80 megabyte SCSI drive tethered to a Seagate ST-02
>SCSI host adapter.
>Ventura 3.0 works fine with ATM in standard mode, however when switching
>to 386-Enhanced mode the machine promptly responds with the ubiquitous
>"Unrecoverable Application Error" dialog dumping me from ventura.

I had the same sort of problem except that I can only run Ventura in
Real Mode (no Standard or Enhanced).  When I phoned Ventura we went
through this discussion and the Ventura rep told me that since I was
using a non-standard video driver (i.e. ATI VGA Wonder w/512K) and the
drivers that I got directly from ATI's BBS that I had to go to ATI and
demand an updated driver because the driver was not providing the
correct signals to Ventura.  By non-standard, the Ventura rep meant
anything not supplied by MicroSoft.  When I switched to regular VGA
mode then Ventura ran in all three modes no problem.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc